26| Sound of Silence

Soundtrack: Symphony No.8 in B minor "Unfinished" : 1. Allegro Moderato by Franz Shubert

They were six minutes into the first movement of the Sonata No.9 when Victoria's string snapped.

Her bow wasn't even heavy on the strings, the nuance being close to piano in that particular part. She was playing a light spiccato, followed by a couple of long notes, when carried away by the melody, the frog of her bow accidentally collided into her E string, snapping it in two with a dissonant ting.

The girl stopped playing with a scowl, holding her violin in front of her eyes and assessing the damage. Yoongi paused as well, looking at her with furrowed brows.

"Are you alright?" he asked, aware that violin strings suddenly bursting had the deplorable tendency of cutting fingers and even cheeks, the tension making them quite harmful when they ruptured.

"Yeah," she half-heartedly responded, removing the damaged string pieces and digging in her violin case for her extra set.

All violinists needed emergency strings from time to time, and the girl had come prepared. The pianist watched as she stretched the new E string, attaching it at the bottom tailpiece first to then place it in the notch of the bridge, going over the fingerboard to roll it around the right peg of the scroll.

She screwed the peg tighter, which seemed like a heavy arm workout. With her violin pushed against her thigh and her grip closely holding the neck, other hand adjusting the peg, she huffed as she screwed it tighter, thumb pinching the string to check the sound of her new string.

"Can you give me an A?" she asked, and Yoongi obliged, the minor A chord reverberating in the small practise room.

She tuned her violin with the instrument on her shoulder this time, then turned to her duet partner.

"Do you want to start again?"

"As you wish, or we can just start back from where we were?"

She sighed, bow stroking the strings one last time to make sure her instrument wasn't disharmonious.

"Okay, let's start from measure 367. I'm sorry, I might stop to tune my violin a couple of times until the string adjusts fully."

"I know," reassured Yoongi with a side grin, "Better for it to explode now than during the performance, am I right?"

"True," Victoria answered, adjusting the instrument on her shoulder.

Pianos, although needing to be tuned as well from time to time, weren't nearly as fragile as violins, and he knew all about the difficulty of caring for such instruments. Changing a string meant the violin would need constant tuning in the next few days, until the wood would get used to the feel of the unfamiliar metal string.

"Ready?"

"Yes."

She signalled that she was starting to play with a sharp breath, then let her bow caress the strings, her fingers creating a steady vibrato, the familiar melody invading the small practise room. Delicate and low at first to then grow in intensity, the notes bounced against the walls, becoming sharper and louder to then go back to a whisper.

Yoongi let her lead him, following every intonation of hers, every movement and facial expression to know when to slow down for dramatic effect or when to accelerate. One look towards her and he knew exactly what she needed, their synchrony so ridiculously perfect they almost looked like they were dancing, his hands hitting the keys at the exact second her bow was stroking the strings, notes intertwining to produce one unique chant.