22| Chamber music

Soundtrack: Serenade for string Orchestra in E major, Op.22, III Scherzo Vivace by Antonin Dvorak

Yoongi had more fun than what he had expected. Welcoming banquets and all other kinds of formal music-related events were usually long and boring, with plenty of unending speeches and pompous announcements to which people politely clapped, sitting at the tip of their chair with a haughty expression. This time, the speeches were still boring, and people still clapped conceitedly, but the pianist was with his friends and Victoria, and the food was good, so it wasn't nearly as bad as usual.

"I want to marry this ginger layered cake with poached pears and cream cheese frosting!" announced Taehyung, stuffing his mouth with a gigantic spoonful of spongy dessert.

"I think my taste buds just had an orgasm," added Hoseok.

"I kind of want to write serenades for this cake and sing them underneath its window," said Victoria, eyes shut close as she masticated.

The three of them turned to Yoongi, looking at him expectedly.

"It's not bad," he conveyed, making the three others glare at him with exaggeratedly outraged expressions.

Taehyung took in a deep breath, scowling and holding his chest like the pianist had just shot him in the heart with a gun.

"Not bad? What's your problem?"

"We live in Paris! Tasty foods are our religion, this isn't so unusual... Don't you think it's a bit too sweet?"

"You're annoying," announced Hoseok, "You're ruining it for me, stop talking."

Jungkook just smiled timidly, him who had already finished eating his last course in the first two minutes after he had received his plate, engulfing the whole thing without even chewing. He was now sitting too straight, hands on his thighs and leaning slightly forward, like he was ready to jump off his chair to run away as fast as possible. He had been very silent for the duration of the dinner, even if Hoseok had relentlessly tried to include him into the conversation. Now, even the manager had given up on him, assessing that Jungkook just wasn't suited for group conversations.

"So, what are we doing tomorrow?" excitedly asked Taehyung, "The aquarium was great by the way, I took plenty of pictures if you want to see!"

He shoved his cellphone in Victoria's face, where she could observe Taehyung jumping in front of an aquarium full of jellyfish, pure happiness leaking from every pore of his skin as he beamed at the camera. Victoria grinned at the sight, taking the cellphone from his hands to scroll through the photos.

"Wow, those are actually great! You look like a model!"

She excitedly passed the cellphone to Yoongi, showing him a video that Taehyung had taken; colorful tropical fishes gently swimming around limpid blue water, pink and orange corals in the background and soft algae swaying to the current. The pianist, instead of looking at the screen, had his gaze locked on Victoria's gleeful expression.

"Look at that? Isn't it pretty? Can we go tomorrow?"

Yoongi smiled back at her, nodding.

"Sure, anything you want."

And he meant it. At this moment, if the girl's wish had been to fly to Morocco the next day, he would have happily bought plane tickets.

"I want to go to the Museum of Arts and Design tomorrow!" exclaimed Taehyung, "Do you guys want to come with me? We could get pizza on the way!"

"Ow... I'm really sorry," said Hoseok, who had been looking at his phone for the last minutes.

His serious expression alerted the three others.