21| Juilliard

Soundtrack: Liebestraume No.3 Nocturne in A-flat major by Franz Liszt

The Juilliard school is a private performing arts conservatory in New York, established around 1900, with world-renowned programs in dance, drama, and music. It is a rather snobby institution, created because too many American students were leaving for Europe to study their art. The U.S also needed to have their own distinguished, next-level creative faculty to be part of the Big-Countries Club. This gave birth to an 850 students academy situated in the Upper West Side of Manhattan with practise rooms that are always filled, a very competitive environment and entire floors dedicated to Jazz, modern, baroque, and classical music, intertwined with dance studios and drama theaters.

The place was huge and modern, the building made of glass and grey stone worthy of an art competition by itself with its minimalist stance. Just like the Paris conservatory, it reeked of talent, every corner of the building soaked with artistic genius. Yoongi had felt right at home the first time he had stepped inside and the same familiarity was coming back to him now. Looking sideways at Victoria, he could tell that she too, felt acquainted with the place even if she had never set foot in it.

That was the power of music. No matter the country, a place dedicated to one's passion would always feel welcoming.

Victoria looked around curiously, long raven hair spilling in her back as she walked behind Hoseok, who was blabbering about their schedule.

"There will be an interview with the press and then after..."

"I considered studying here," suddenly interrupted the girl, her gaze towards the white stairs leading to the higher levels.

"Why didn't you?" asked the pianist, walking beside her, his shoulder grazing hers.

Crazy how he was not able to not touch her.

"I wanted to keep my French heritage alive and stay in France," she revealed, "But I love how elitist this school is. As soon as you get in, you're considered important."

Yoongi scoffed.

"The standards are too high though; I know a lot of musicians who came here and who had a rough time because of all the pressure. Their teaching method is quite radical. They crush a lot of hearts."

Hoseok glared at the both of them behind his shoulder.

"The acceptance rate is 7%. At this point, if you get in is pretty much just luck, like winning the lottery or something."

"You do know that the acceptance rate at the Paris Conservatory is 3%, right?" Yoongi asked with a grin.

Hoseok glared at the two of them with wide eyes.

"Seriously? Wow, you guys slap!"

Victoria laughed, clutching her violin case against her chest.

"I also feel like the Paris Conservatory was a better choice for me because it's older. It has an old soul and plenty of cute traditions. I like that about the place," the pianist conveyed.

They were arriving at the practice rooms after walking across a glass corridor, which was full of students, muffled melodies coming out of every side doors to mesh together in a wild cacophony.

"You guys are right there," announced Hoseok, pointing at a door on the left, "Have fun being geniuses. I think that meanwhile, me and Taehyung are going to go check out the aquarium."

"Lucky bastards," mumbled Victoria.

Clearly, she was jealous of their freedom. While she was stuck between four walls, Taehyung and Hoseok had the chance to roam the city freely.