35| Carpe Diem

Soundtrack: Take Five by Dave Brubeck and Giant Steps by John Coltrane

There was a little basement jazz club called The Iridium on Broadway. The club had concerts in the evening, but during the day, the bands practised, and it was possible to come listen to their rehearsals for free while eating a sandwich with a cup of coffee.

Yoongi and Victoria arrived there towards the end of the afternoon, coming directly from the David Geffen Hall by walking along Broadway. They stayed silent, keeping some distance between them as they made their way there, the noise of cars honking and the chattering of pedestrians filling the uncomfortable quietness that surrounded them lately.

Victoria, who was seeing this little piece of New York for the first time, was staring at the theaters and chicken restaurants with unfiltered curiosity. She stayed a few steps behind Yoongi, following him with her eyes up, scrutinizing the tall buildings surrounding them. Meanwhile, the pianist was watching her reflection on the glass windows of pubs and edifices they were crossing, keeping an eye on her without meeting her gaze.

The Iridium was on the smaller size; four brick walls, an old black wooden floor, a bar, and a small dingy stage under blue spotlights. It smelled of old leather, coffee and smoke, and on the walls were displayed black and white posters, vinyl records and broken instruments.

"I like this place," muttered Victoria in Yoongi's back as she looked around, more saying it to herself than to him.

"I like it too."

The sitting area was perfectly deserted except for two chairs near the stage, occupied by Taehyung and Hoseok who both waved at the duet to come closer. Under the spotlights, a saxophonist, a double bass player, a drummer and a pianist were playing on their instrument in turn, currently in the middle of a soundcheck.

The saxophonist saw Yoongi arrive and his eyes doubled in size. He nudged the double bass player in the side before darting back his eyes at Yoongi, who smiled at them knowingly while the double bass player frowned in disbelief.

"So! How was your last practise before the show?" asked Taehyung as soon as they were close enough.

Victoria pursed her lips.

"I'm getting a sandwich," she said before turning on her heels to get to the bar.

"Still in a bad mood, I see," noticed Hoseok, his eyes following the girl's ponytail as she walked away.

"Let her be," whispered Yoongi, "The dress rehearsal didn't go as planned and she's anxious about tomorrow."

"Yeah, about that," the manager continued, "Shouldn't you two be, I don't know, practising right now?"

Taehyung, swallowing a big mouthful of chicken club sandwich, shook his head with furrowed brows.

"Not at all unless you want to sign up for a disaster tomorrow! The dress rehearsal needs to be as short and sweet as possible. You don't want to strain yourself and pull a muscle the day before the contest. They need to keep their strengths! Also, if they're not prepared enough... Well, at this point it's too late and rehearsing is pretty much useless."

"Thanks a lot for this in-depth explanation, Taehyung," Yoongi said with a pout.

Victoria came back at this moment, a big burrito and some onion rings neatly stacked in her plate. Without looking at anyone, she took a huge bite off her burrito, smearing tomato sauce on her cheeks.

"Glad to see that you found your appetite back!" chimed Hoseok.

"I'm carb-loading for tomorrow," the girl defended.