31| Withering

Soundtrack: Symphony No.5 "The Reformation", Op. 107 Andante by Felix Mendelssohn and Piano Sonata No.14 in C Sharp Minor, Op. 27 No.2 Moonlight Sonata I. Adagio Sostenuto by Beethoven

Yoongi's words hung into the air, so heavy they took a long time to reach the girl still sitting in front of him with her head on his knees, face buried in her hands. He couldn't see her expression like that and suddenly panicked, instant regret making his stomach churn.

Why did he even say that?

I would quit piano for you.

What was he thinking? This was way too much too fast. He was going to scare the girl away with his feelings so excessive they were taking most of the room. Still, he didn't utter a word, wiping his eyes with his sleeve and waiting for a reaction, anything to put him out of his misery.

She finally raised her head, inflamed wet eyes meeting his. She smiled, the tiniest of grins before her expression crumpled, unfiltered pain etched on her face.

"I'm so sorry," she cried, shoulders shaking with the sobs she was trying to hold back, "I ruined everything! I didn't – I didn't know you cared. I really thought kissing someone else wouldn't even matter! I didn't mean to... I would take it back if I could..."

Yoongi's expression was undecipherable, lips pressed together as he gazed down at her crumpled form kneeling before him. He wasn't crying anymore and was calmer, a sort of artificial numbness taking over him. He still felt like there was a giant pit in his chest, like his heart had been stepped on, like screaming and shouting and throwing things on the wall, but his mind was sharper now that it wasn't blinded by shock and grief.

She hadn't said that she loved him back, and that alone felt like another stab right in his chest. Her apologies weren't what he needed at this moment; he needed a confirmation that his feelings were mutual, that he wasn't some kind of prize she was prancing around.

He stood up, slightly nudging her away from him so she would free his legs, and walked to his open luggage, grabbing there a t-shirt and some shorts. Victoria suddenly started sobbing louder when he got in the bathroom, grabbing his toothbrush.

"Please don't go!" she begged, "Please, please, don't leave like that! Where are you going? This is your room!"

He came back to her after grabbing his cellphone and bedroom key from the nightstand. She hadn't moved, still kneeling in front of his bed with the collar of her t-shirt now all wet from her tears. Yoongi grabbed her chin, forcing her head up. He gently pushed the hair away from her face, stared at her for a second and taking-in her glazed eyes, all puffy and red, the streaks of black going down her cheeks and her runny nose.

She looked so miserable, yet he didn't find it in his heart to feel bad for her, clenching his jaw as he looked at her right in the eyes.

"Now, listen to me," he declared, "You're going to take a shower, brush your teeth, drink some water, and go to bed. I don't care if you have to drug yourself, you need to sleep."

They still had the competition in two days. The dress rehearsal was tomorrow, and things were bad enough already as they were without the both of them being sleep deprived.

"Where are you going?" she asked once again, but the pianist didn't answer.

In two strides he was out the door, closing behind him and hearing the lock click. He stayed for a few seconds with his back against the door, taking-in a few deep breaths. Inside, Victoria's weeps could be heard, increasing tenfold with his departure.

It took almost ten minutes for Yoongi to find Taehyung's room. The hotel was absolutely gigantic, and his bedroom was as far as it could be from his. Finally, the pianist found himself knocking at the right door.