Chapter 3: UA entrance exams

God. This summer was crazy. All the things Izuku had learned about Alchemy, and all the dead leads on the philosopher's stone. But Izuku couldn't think about that right now. He had more pressing matters on his mind. He was busy training for the UA entrance exam. Several others got in through recommendations, which surprised Izuku, seeing as he was basically doing hero work for the past two days with the whole Lito incident. But, regardless, it was one of Izuku main goals. After all, as a hero, he could travel freely and have access to a lot more knowledge than he used to have access to. But, there was another reason as well.

Flashback to the day after Izuku's mom died.

Izuku walked into his mother's room. The light yellow walls, her patterned comforter, all of the old pictures on the walls, everything just felt so...

Bland.

Without his mother, Izuku felt empty. Like he had no purpose. His Mother was his main, and only support system, and without her, he felt broken.

"Deku? Are you okay?" asked Ochaco as she walked into Inko's old room, to find her best friend sitting on the oak wood floor, crying his eyes out. She hurried up to him, and gave him a soft hug.

Izuku didn't answer. He was too busy mourning the person who made him smile every day, regardless of how Izuku was quirkless, and regardless of how everyone else treated him.

Ochaco continued to comfort her friend. She could tell that he was broken, and it would be hard to fix his shattered soul. "It's okay Deku. When my parents were killed by that villain all those years ago, I was just like this. But you helped me feel better." she said, as she removed a charm from her bracelet.

"You gave me this to help me when I was hurting, now I want you to have it, so your pain might go away faster

"You gave me this to help me when I was hurting, now I want you to have it, so your pain might go away faster." she said, placing the charm in Izuku's hand, closing his fingers around the metal charm.

Izuku stopped crying after a few minutes. "Thanks Ochaco. Can I please have the room for a bit?" he asked.

Ochaco nodded and stood up to leave the room. "Before I forget, I found this with your mom's possessions. It had your name on it, so I thought I would give it to you." she said, giving Izuku a small piece of paper. She left the room shortly after.

Izuku looked down at the folded sheet of paper. Sure enough, it had his name on it. He unfolded the paper, hearing it crackle as it tried to return to it's original shape. He looked down to see the blue-ink writing his mother had always used, regardless of what she was writing.

My Dearest Izuku,

If you're reading this, then that means I'm no longer with you. I'm sure this is unexpected. I'm sorry. There was no way I could afford the medicine. After your father left, and I lost my job, it just got so difficult to keep up with finances. I was struggling to keep you happy, put food in your mouth, and make sure you had a better life than your father and I did. Looks like I failed. And I'm truly sorry. But I want you to know, I have no intention of letting you just give up on everything. You're an Alchemist! There haven't been Alchemists in God knows how long. And you've practically mastered it at such a young age! It's almost as if you gave yourself a quirk. So, I want you to not give up. I won't let you. I want you to become a hero, and follow your dreams. If you do that, then I know my life will not have been a failure. Keep smiling, and making others smile. I love you more than life itself Izuku. Don't ever let anyone bring you down. You're too smart for that.