Chapter 15: Where it Falls

Izuku and Ochaco hurried to talk to their friend. As disappointed as they both were, it was an important interruption. Iida would never forfeit without a legitimate reason. He was so determined to win. It had to be something terrible to make Iida forfeit the competition all together. 

They finally found Iida in the other break room. "Iida, what happened?" Izuku asked, concerned and frantic.

Iida was sitting down, hunched over with his elbows on his knees. He looked so defeated. He forfeited just before his match, but it seemed like he had just lost an impossible fight. "My Brother, Tensei. He was..." he choked back some tears, constantly straining to hold them back, "... he was killed."

Both Izuku and Ochaco's eyes widened. "How? Your brother was such an amazing hero. How could anyone kill him?" asked Ochaco.

Iida sighed. "A new villain. A group. Four people. They were trying to convince the Hero Killer Stain to join them. When he refused, there was a fight. My brother was caught in the crossfire." he said as he began to shake, his hands squeezing the air as he clenched his fists.

His friends looked to him. They had never seen Iida so broken. Ochaco tried to go over to him, but Izuku grabbed her shoulder. "Give him some time." he urged. 

Ochaco reluctantly complied. They returned to the stands. It was almost time for Izuku's match against Todoroki. He took a deep breath. So much had happened. He had the chance to tell Ochaco how he felt. How much he cared about her. And his best friend is going through the same pain that Izuku was. The same pain that changed his life. The same pain that pushed him to commit a sin worse than any other.

He hoped that Iida wouldn't do the same.

***

Izuku made his way down to the arena for his match with Todoroki. A lot had just happened. Iida forfeit the tournament, his dreams continued to change, and he still couldn't make sense of them, and he had almost confessed his feelings to Uraraka. The match was the least of his concerns right now. Even still, he had to persevere. Even if his thoughts were clouded. He stepped onto the arena, with Todoroki directly across from him. He took a deep breath, ready to fight, poising his metal arm in a defensive stance. 

Todoroki however, was just as composed as ever. Standing like a statue, prepared to move at any moment, as his dual colored eyes surveyed everything around him. "Midoryia." he called out, "Regardless of what happened with Iida, I'm still going to go all out."

Midoryia nodded. "Fine by me." he said confidently.

Both combatants stood at either side of the arena, staring at each other, as if reading the others eyes, trying to see what they where planning. Soon enough, the buzzer went off, signaling the beginning of the match. 

Izuku wasted no time in clapping his hands and transmuting several fists towards Todoroki. Todoroki, however, anticipated this, and made a large iceberg to stand on top of. The Ice was then broken by Izuku's transmutation. Todoroki leapt off and sent a roaring flamethrower at Midoryia from above. Izuku raised his left arm in an attempt to block the flames, singing his uniform. Todoroki landed right behind Midoryia, his hand coated in the freezing cold of his quirk, as he lunged his hand forward to freeze Midoryia.