1.03

"How to kill a Mocking girl"

"Okay, whose idea was this again?" Hanna Marin asked the group as they all trudged their way through the woods

"Okay, whose idea was this again?" Hanna Marin asked the group as they all trudged their way through the woods. It was early — and on a weekend — and they were traipsing through shrubs and ducking under low branches to get to the shed.

"Emily's mom," Spencer said.

"Gotta love Pam," muttered Halle, swatting a fly from her face.

Emily claimed, "the shed was me, my mom just said we should do something for us."

"And you thought of the shed?" Halle asked Emily. "In the middle of the woods, when Detective Donkey-face has the entire force looking to us for answers? No, no, this is a great idea," she said sarcastically.

Hanna agreed. "Yeah, and couldn't we do something without mosquitos?" she asked, slapping her arm of what she thought was a bug.

"They're not mosquitoes, they're gnats," Aria corrected the blonde.

"Whatever," Hanna was still repulsed. "They're small, annoying and flying up my nose."

"Ooh, two out of three, Aria," Halle joked as she past the short girl, Aria's her mouth now hung open.

Spencer ignored Halle's comment and told Hanna, "they're attracted to your perfume. And your hair product. And your lipgloss," she listed.

"So, what are you saying? I attract flies?" Hanna asked, amused.

"Gnats," corrected Aria, again.

Emily sighed heavily, stopping her movements. "Why do I feel like this is the wrong way?"

"No, this is it," Spencer said. She pointed to a large oak-tree and stated, "I remember that tree. It's the halfway point. There's three-hundred and thirty-six steps left to the shed."

It baffled Emily that she knew that. She looked to the Hastings girl. "Have you been out here since Alison?"

"Me? No, no way," Spencer said, defensive and as a matter of fact.

"But you remember that tree?" Aria said, confused by the statement as well as Emily.

"You clearly don't remember Spencer," Halle replied. "The all-knowing oracle of Rosewood."

"Guys, it's not that weird." Hanna reminded them, "I mean, we came out here in eight grade, like, every day. Even after," she added.

They started making their way through the bushes when Spencer spoke again. "I think this is totally the wrong place to do this, whatever you call it--"

"Shrine," Halle stated.

"It's not a shrine," Emily defended.

"It is so a shrine," Halle countered back.