1.18

"The Bad Seed"

"If you're trying out for 'The Bad Seed', you need to sign up here and wait by the auditorium door until your name is called

"If you're trying out for 'The Bad Seed', you need to sign up here and wait by the auditorium door until your name is called. Thank you and good luck," Mr Fitz had told everyone there for the play auditions.

Halle was not there to audition. When her parents brought up the idea of a play at dinner last week, when Toby was over, Halle laughed at them. The very suggestion made Halle laugh in their faces. Her exact reaction was, "do you honestly think I'd be seen dead in a school play? A English class play? It's not even drama club, can you imagine how crap it's gonna be." She thought it sounded pathetic, only later she made to regret it the moment Spencer and Hanna came to her on monday morning clutching scripts, and then Mr Fitz presented her with sheet music.

So, Halle sat on the floor in a circle as her friends ran lines with each other. It wasn't even a play she had heard off. It didn't interest her in the slightest, but still she was there — for her friends.

"Start with the line about the stolen medal," Spencer instructed Emily.

"Why isn't she wearing any shoes?" Hanna asked, eyes on a fellow student rehearsing not far from the group.

Spencer rolled her eyes and said, "So she can look short enough to play an eight-year-old."

Halle's eyes flicked over the pages of script they were given to audition from. She begged the question, "Why couldn't Fitz have picked Grease or West Side Story?"

"It's an English class," Spencer said. "Why would he pick a musical?"

"West Side Story is Romeo and Juliet," Halle stated. "Montague and Capulet, Sharks and the Jets — it's all the same. Granted, there's no suicide in West Side Story, but that should really be considered a score in the whole teen mental health department by eliminating it."

"I worry about you," Spencer said, eyeing Halle strangely. She then asked, "What's my line?" having been too distracted.

"I don't see anything about a medal," Emily replied, repeatedly scanning the page for what Spencer was on about.

"No, that's what the eight-year-old killed her classmate for, the Penmanship medal," Spencer explained, "that's why they call her the bad seed."

"Penmanship medal, really?" Hanna questioned.

"Didn't you read the whole play?" Spencer asked her. She shot the question to the others, having gotten only a shrug from Hanna as a response.

"No," Halle said flatly.

"Don't look at me," Aria screeched, trying to escape Spencer's judging gaze. "Hanna's the one trying out. I'm just here to make her look taller," she commented.

Hanna sighed and asked, "Why do I have to read the whole play? I don't wanna be the bad seed's mother. I wanna be the other mother. The one who's drunk all the time," Hanna claimed proudly.