2.14

"Through The Dangers,
Toils And Snares"

"Through The Dangers,Toils And Snares"

ONE MONTH LATER
PRESENT DAY

In Southfield playground, the five girls were doing community service. Dressed in bright, orange jumpsuits, they all picked up litter from the grounds. Halle, even though she loathed the jumpsuit, enjoyed the stick. She got a lot of anger and frustration out by stabbing trash. She forced the stick down, piercing the item before shoving it into the collection bag. Oddly enough, Halle found it more therapeutic than the new therapist Dr Sullivan had recommended for her.

"Only an hour and thirty minutes to go," declared Hanna to the group.

"I think it's more like two hours," Aria said, stabbing her own litter. "But who's counting?"

"Hanna, clearly," Halle shot. A smiled etched onto her face, pulling at the right corner of her mouth when she spotted a can. She thrust the stick down into it, liking the sound of a pop followed by the wheezing of escaped air when she did so. Halle learnt rather quickly that cans were the most satisfying to stab.

One of the other girls involved in community service moved to stand by another. She mocked the girls, imitating a prissy voice, "How many hours you got left?"

The second girl answered, "Six months."

"Cos' your mama's not a big-shot lawyer getting you and your pals community service for tampering with evidence," commented the first girl.

"Thought you said they killed somebody," returned the other.

"That's what the cops think," said the first girl. "Cops can't prove it."

"Heh," the second chuckled, "cops are stupid."

Snapping, Emily had enough of hearing everyone talk about her. She was tired of the narrative going around. "We didn't do anything," she defended.

"Don't talk to them," Spencer said abruptly.

Emily shot her head around, firing back, "I'll talk to anybody I want to."

"No, you won't," said Spencer, cleaning her stick of its trash.

"And who's gonna stop me?" challenged Emily.

"Both of you just shut up," snapped Aria. "I don't wanna hear it anymore." She then went back to cleaning up the park, sticking to the same area as the others.

"Did you at least think about my idea?" pressured Emily, following Spencer around as if it was her who needed to give permission.

"It was a bad idea when they arrested us, it's a bad idea now," Spencer replied shortly. She paid no mind to Emily's pleas, carrying on with picking up litter.