2.17

"The Blond Leading The Blind"

In Spencer's house, Halle warmed her hands with her morning cup of coffee

In Spencer's house, Halle warmed her hands with her morning cup of coffee. From where she was, leant up against the arm of the couch, she watched as Emily turned her nose up at her yoghurt, the spoon never leaving the pot. Admittedly, they had all had a rough time eating since A filled their takeout with worms the night before.

Hanna entered through the main house and into the kitchen. She said, "I passed your mom heading out," the moment she arrived.

Immediately, they swung into action. The five bolted up and went to the laptop sat on the island. "Then it's go-time," Spencer announced. She positioned herself front and centre before she stuck out her hand. "Hanna?"

Still unsure and hating ever getting her boyfriend involved, Hanna kept quiet. She didn't want to hand it over. She would refuse, if she could. Yet, this meant too much — to every one of them.

"Hanna," Spencer said gravely, and the blonde soon caved.

Giving in, Hanna handed over the flashdrive. She accepted it was the right thing to do, but it still didn't sit well with her; because of how invested Caleb was becoming with A without even knowing about A.

"How much did Caleb get?" Aria asked.

"I don't know," Hanna answered, throwing her arms up. She was distant from the shared eagerness of the others. "He said he was up most of the night."

As Halle came over, drifting behind the most invested three, she gave Hanna a gentle nudge with her shoulder, still holding her coffee. Shooting her small tight-lipped smile, Halle made sure Hanna knew she understood where the blonde was coming from.

Loading up the new window on her laptop, Spencer remarked to her friends, "It's not like we expected decrypting files from A's phone was gonna be easy."

"Is Caleb still asking whose phone it is?" asked Emily.

"Every chance he gets, and I'm still lying to him," Hanna retorted, throwing the reminder back in their faces, especially Spencer's since it was her idea.

"It's the only way, Han," replied Halle, tenderly putting it. "Mind you, it does suck that we've told him nothing," she added, sipping her coffee after.

"We can't tell him anything, though," reminded Emily, "the last person we told was Dr Sullivan and she's gone."

It made both Halle and Hanna shut their mouths, turning towards each other to offer the other a nervous, unconvincing smile. The weight of this all just got heavier in an instant.

"Okay, now that we know it wasn't Lucas, my money's on Officer Garrett in the greenhouse with the cellphone," Aria suggested her own speculations.

"Woah, slow down there, Cluedo," Halle shot, hand up to pause the girl. She tried to slow down the sudden move in judgement. "Think before you lock in your answer."