1.16

"Je Suis Une Ami"

"Halle, breakfast!"

"Halle, breakfast!"

The shout came from her mother, stood the bottom of the stairs, yelling for the third time for Halle to hurry up. Halle yelled back a quick "coming," before the sixteen-year-old heard the sound of shoes against the wood walking away.

Halle grabbed her school bag from where she chucked it when she came in yesterday, up against the wall. She had her house keys between her teeth, two glasses clasped in between her fingers in her left hand and a history text book under her right arm. With all that, she finally left her bedroom and hurried down the stairs, already running behind.

The doorbell rang. Halle gave a groan as Pacha came bounding towards the front door. "No, Pacha— no!" she yelled through clenched teeth. Halle placed the glasses down on the cabinet of drawers near the front door with a clatter and dropped her history textbook on there also; her bag fell to the floor. She opened her jaw and let the keys crash down into the bowl on the cabinet. "Pacha, stay," she said, as she dog got more excitable when the doorbell rang again. "I'm coming!" Halle screamed.

With one hand firmly holding Pacha back by his collar, Halle opened the front door with an exasperated sigh. "Yes?" Noticing her sudden harshness took back the harmless delivery man, Halle apologised. "Sorry, stressful morning."

"Uh, I have these for a Miss..." he glanced down at the clipboard and said, "a Miss Halle Brewster," he said.

"Oh, that's me," said Halle in surprise, and then man handed her over a bouquet of pink tulips and white lilies.

"Have a good day!" called out the man, already retreating down the porch.

"Yeah, thanks! You too!" Halle called out after him. She shut the front door, her brow furrowed. She let Pacha's collar slip from her hand and allowed him run off to the back of the house, towards the kitchen.

Curious, Halle picked out the card from the bouquet and slid it out of the envelope. She read the note aloud, "'Sorry about the other day. Forgive me? Love Noel.'" Halle gave a sigh and pressed the card to her chest. She smiled to herself whilst she walked towards the kitchen. She'd had to text him to say thank you and that the flowers were beautiful.

On arriving into the kitchen, Halle immediately noticed her mother's eyes were on the flowers. All tulips were a sign of Jason according to her mother now; it made Halle roll her eyes.

"Relax, they're from Noel," Halle droned. She put them on the counter and moved to place a sweet kiss to Riley's head; her little sister was sat at the kitchen island with her breakfast in front of her.