2.13

"The First Secret"

OCTOBER 28, 2008THREE DAYS TILL HALLOWEEN

OCTOBER 28, 2008
THREE DAYS TILL HALLOWEEN

A lot of changes were being made in Halle Brewster's life, not that she had any control over them. The biggest was the hand-selected group of friends that Halle's own best friend had suddenly thrust upon her at the start of freshman year. Halle lost even more of what little control she had when Alison forced her to dye a couple strands of her hair pink in aid of welcoming one of the more sensitive girls into the group. Alison said it was because Halle could be less than welcoming and it would make her approachable. So, Halle sacrificed her control to Alison again.

It had been two months since the new four were implemented into Halle's world — the one Alison built for her — and their first holiday as friends was steadily approaching. Halloween was Alison's favourite holiday; she had planned her outfit ahead of time, convinced she would have to look the best. Halle was more laid back and went with the flow; her own mother once said that Halle could be given ten years to do something and Halle would still choose to do it on the last day.

The fresh-formed group of six walked home after school. Alison led the pack, with the rest always at least one step behind her. Emily Fields, a swimmer on the school team, was closest to her. Halle was just after, walking beside Aria Montgomery, the girl Halle recently dyed her hair with, and Hanna Marin, the most admiring of Alison; neither of which had much of social life before Alison picked them. Halle didn't even know who either of them were before she was introduced to them. Then, Spencer Hastings, a neighbour of both Alison and Halle, trailed at the back, eyes locked on her phone screen.

"So, what do you think, Em?" Alison asked. She always led the conversation, too. "Should Hanna be Cute Britney..." she glanced back at the other, more ashy blonde with a sly smile, "or Bald Britney?"

Emily was far too sweet in nature to be openly mean. She was still finding her footing when she voiced her own opinion within the group. Not that she had much of one; it seemed to either match Alison's or be the right, more tamed answer, which Alison found boring. Emily gave the latter just. "If she wants to be Cute Britney..."

Alison was disappointed. So, she looked back and asked someone else, "Aria?"

Aria, amused, chuckled and said, "She's not gonna shave her head."

Halle saw the smile of approval come across Alison's face. It was the answer Alison liked and Aria gave it to her perfectly. Halle stayed quiet. She hadn't got an opinion; it didn't bother her what any of them wore. Halle didn't really care. She wasn't even sure she cared about any of the four yet.

Spotting Spencer on her phone still, Alison groaned and said, "Spencer, you're worse than my father."

"Sorry." Spencer instantly apologised, a smile on her face. She was previously smiling down at the screen, with a happy sigh escaping her. Spencer explained, "But I did just procure nine votes from the debate team." She removed her glasses, tucking them on the collar of her polo.