2.21

"Breaking The Code"

Amongst the noise of school hallway, the five girls stood around Spencer's locker

Amongst the noise of school hallway, the five girls stood around Spencer's locker. The Hastings girl told them that she had managed to get the money and was willing to hand it over to their new 'friend' Jonah for information about Alison.

"We're giving them all of it?" Emily asked. "Two-thousand dollars is a lot of money!"

"Emily, if he can finally tell me who A is, I would hand over a million," Spencer claimed with complete confidence.

Aria agreed, a strong certainty in her voice, "Yeah, and not ask for change."

"How'd you get the money so fast?" asked Emily curiously.

"What? Um..." Spencer was caught off-guard and stumbled over her words. She turned away, burrowing her head in her locker, and mumbled, "I have a relative."

"Which one?" questioned Halle, finding the whole thing too strange.

Spencer faced her. "I promised that I wouldn't say."

Her words were sincere and fueled by a guilt she felt towards the cheerleader. Jason had asked Spencer to keep it a secret, which she didn't mind because Spencer wasn't about to start telling everybody that she had a new-found connection to the guy next door. But Jason didn't want Halle knowing he was the one gifting the money either — that he was helping because Halle wouldn't accept it. It left Spencer wondering if there was more she didn't know. She was questioning if Halle knew about her father's affair with Jessica DiLaurentis — his infidelity — and the consequence of it which meant Jason was her half-brother. Or god-forbid, Halle told Jason about A.

"What time did Jonah say to meet him?" Emily asked Aria.

"Six, but, um, look," Aria began, glancing between her friends. "Not all of us are gonna go," she said. "It's just me and Spencer, so we'll meet up afterwards."

The others were confused, offended by the slight. "Why just you two?" Hanna asked, the first to speak.

"Because I'm the face he knows, and she's the bank," Aria explained.

"Uh, yeah, if we crowd him, he's gonna think something's up," Spencer tried to reason.

"Because two teenagers with two thousand dollars ain't already telling a grown-ass man something's up," Halle chided.

"Something is up," Emily stressed. "We're finally gonna find out who's been torturing us since Ali's funeral, and hello — I kind of wanna be there for that."

"Volume," chimed Spencer, reminding them all of where exactly there were.

"I'll give you volume—"

"Hey, ladies!" said a chipper Mona Vanderwaal, cutting off Halle's bitter comment. She wore a large smile and planted herself by Hanna's side.