1.11

"Moments later"

Halle let rip a blood-curdling scream

Halle let rip a blood-curdling scream. She had woken up in the ambulance to see Hanna laid unconscious next to her. A jolt of pain shot up her chest. And then another. And then another. She had never been in such tremendous agony. She was screaming. Halle cried out for her mother, for her father — for Hanna.

She let out another scream.

She was sat on the edge of a hospital bed while a doctor checked her over. Nobody was telling Halle anything. They wouldn't tell her about Hanna. Halle thought her friend was dead. Halle just didn't know.

"Halle, I need you to focus on you right now," the doctor had said to her.

"My friend," she cried. "My friend. Her name is Hanna Marin. I need-- Is she okay?"

"Halle, I need you to breathe. Stay calm. I need you to tell me where it hurts."

The doctor pressed a gloved-hand to Halle's stomach and Halle let out piercing cry. Her body wretched. She was in so much pain, her screeches resembled that of a wounded animal. She felt her whole body was on fire. The doctor touched her again and a wail came from Halle as she almost toppled down off the bed.

The woman turned to the nurse in the room. "We need to do an x-ray now and then an ultrasound for any internal bleeding."

While Halle was going down in one lift, her parents arrived in another. Nick and Luisa Brewster stormed into the emergency room in a state of complete panic. Nick went straight to the front desk to talk to someone, but Luisa had seen the girls.

"Emily!" she called out. Luisa ran to hug the still-shaking girl. "What happened? A car hit them?" she asked in confusion. She pulled back to look at them all. Luisa was still in shock, what had happened to her girl?

"We-- It happened so quick," Emily sobbed. "I don't-- Hanna wasn't breathing."

"And there was blood. So much blood, I'm sorry," Aria said, crying. "I tried to stop it."

"It's okay," Luisa comforted. Her hand reached out and stroked Aria's hair, the way she did her own daughter's. "It wasn't your fault, you did all you could do, you can't blame yourselves."

Nick came over, his wife's eyes instantly on him in the heightened state she was in. "They've taken her down for an x-ray — just," he told her. He turned to the girls. "What happened?"

"We got a text off Hanna," Spencer said, "saying to meet her in the parking lot. Halle got there first."

"You weren't together?" Nick asked them impulsively.

Emily confessed to her friend's parents, "she had gone to see Toby."

Alarmed, Luisa's eyes were plunging out. "Cavanaugh?"

"Why?" asked Nick. "Why was Halle with Toby Cavanaugh?"

"I don't-- I don't know," Emily cried softly, head down.