4» that change

Lucius's POV
« NOW »

I took out the pack of cigarettes from my jacket. Placing one between my lips, I took out the lighter and lit it up. Then I leaned back against the bar counter and let my eyes roam across the people in front of me. Dancing, talking, kissing.

The same old Welsh's Bar.

My view was blocked, however, when someone came right in front of me. I noticed the somewhat familiar girl in the red dress, red lipstick, and those curves.

A small smirk formed on my lips as I straightened up from my leaning position. Her eyes met mine, a look so seductive and knowing. Hot. And just the type of girl I looked for in bars like these.

I was a little surprised though when she took the cigarette from between my lips and placed it between hers. Bold move. Unfortunately, I really wasn't in a hookup mood tonight.

"Not my cigarette, babe." I took it back from her. She frowned but overcame it quickly. Drunk girls like her did that a lot.

I felt my phone buzz the exact moment she wrapped her arms around my neck, looking up at me. "We can go to your house, babe." She craned her neck to the side, giving my eyes enough access to her pale, flawless skin. When she pressed closer, I couldn't help but run my hand up her side, into her long blonde hair.

My phone buzzed again and I pulled away with a heavy sigh, sliding it out of my pocket. It was a message from one of Ryder's men.

We've found the lead. Ryder wants you to get
done with him asap.

Always me. Why the hell could that bastard not do it himself? Probably because he wasn't as good as I was.

You know how to cover up your tracks good, he'd said. You know how to kill and you know how to take what needs to be taken.

I rolled my eyes and looked down at the girl who didn't seem like a priority anymore. If I let myself touch her, things would escalate to other big things, and Ryder would be pissed.

And Ryder getting pissed got on the very edge of my nerves. Everything seemed to get on my nerves these days.

"Sorry." I shrugged her arms off my shoulders and took a step away from her. "Gotta go."

"What?" She was pouting now. "But we were having fun."

Fun. I almost laughed.

"Like I said, I'm sorry." I started heading for the exit, not meaning it in the slightest. Nights with blondes like her made me feel like shit in the mornings anyway.

I heard her say something behind me but I was already moving past the crowd. I had stuff to do. And that included a guy, tracking him down, and most probably shooting some bullets through his head.