23» That Rain

Grace's POV
« NOW »

"Holy freaking hell!" Alice exclaimed.

I slightly jumped in my position, looking at her in surprise. "What's wrong with you?"

She glanced at me from her phone's screen, blinking. The look on her face was of pure horror. "God, Gracie, you need to look at this."

I urged myself not to make a face when she called me that. Just because Fraser called me that without my permission, she thought she could follow his steps too.

"Look at what?" I asked, looking around the strangely silent cafeteria. It wasn't as loud as it always was. Mainly because so many hadn't come to school today. All because of the recent storm warnings expected in Hayward city. Which again, was strange.

Alice, still with wide eyes, turned her phone's screen towards me. I frowned before looking at the Instagram post she was showing me. It was a video.

Of white furry rabbits.

"You don't like rabbits?" I glanced at her questioningly. She just shook her head frantically and so I looked back at the video.

The rabbits were jumping around a grassy field, which for some reason, looked like a small compact place. Or maybe it was the angle of the camera. Either way, all I saw were rabbits.

Nothing horrifying.

I was about to look up from her phone again when something happened. Just one second and sudden sharp darts flew out of nowhere, almost hitting every one of those small creatures.

I gasped lightly in response. And then the video ended.

"I know!" Alice looked at my surprised face. "I thought it was just one of those cute animal videos, but then they all died. Like literally, somebody killed those rabbits."

I rubbed my face with my palms, closing my eyes. "Why are you even watching such videos?"

"I am not." She defended herself before switching off her phone. "I wasn't expecting that to happen. Those poor rabbits."

How come somebody even made a video of that?

"Hey, talking about Instagram," She looked at me. "I didn't get a chance to ask you where you ran off to yesterday night?"

I couldn't even think of a way how both of those things were connected.

"I told you." I murmured. "I couldn't find you guys in the chaos."

Her eyebrows shot up. "Oh, you don't even know how scared I got when I heard those gunshots."

I had gotten scared too.

"I mean, it was serious." She added. "Even the police came."

"They did?" I asked in surprise. I thought it had gotten under control.

When Luca had ran away.