27» That Dance

Grace's POV
« NOW »

I called Fraser.

Mainly because I remembered that he'd promised to take me to the shelter today, and part of me hated that I won't be able to see Frost again. 

I shouldn't get so attached to a freaking puppy.

"Oh, no problem." Fraser said on the other end. "I was about to call you and ask about that. But then I realized you didn't have your phone."

I frowned at that because I clearly didn't remember telling him about my phone. I hadn't told that to anybody but Alice.

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"Alice told me." He replied. "Where are you anyway? You're not at school either."

I leaned back against the soft couch. Looking around, I realized how Luca was nowhere in sight. I hadn't seen him leaving.

"I had this work to do. I'm out of town. Will be back by tomorrow." I kept it short, hoping that he wouldn't ask anything more.

Because then I'd have to ask him to mind his own business, and I really didn't want to sound mean when all he was being was nice to me.

"All right." He said. "Take care, Gracie. I'll give your message to Frost. Hopefully, he won't still be sulking around."

I felt the guilty clawing inside me. "Don't make me feel bad, Fraser."

He just laughed lightly. "Anyway, I'm giving the phone to Alice. She says she has this...important girl stuff to talk about." I could almost hear him frown on the other end.

I rolled my eyes and hummed in response. Soon enough, I was hearing Alice's voice, "Shoo away, Fraser. Don't eavesdrop on the girls talk."

I almost smiled at that.

"Oh my God, Gracie! Guess what?" She asked me, her voice a pitch higher.

I scrunched up my forehead at that. "What?"

"The guy back at that Carnival, who was arrested by the police, he ran away. And like, the police was everywhere today."

I frowned at that. "Really?"

"Yes!" She spoke up. "They all are saying that he's going to be killing other people now. Just like Anna."

I kept on frowning.

"Basically, a serial killer is on loose." She chuckled almost excitedly. "I heard you're out of town. Lucky you, Gracie."

The same moment, the door opened and Luca came back inside. His eyes found mine before he looked away, placing both of our bags on the floor.

"Who did you go with?" She asked curiously. "Is there someone I don't know about?"

"No." I whispered. "I have to go now, okay?"