35» That Urge

Grace's POV
« NOW »

I looked down at Frost, standing in front of the familiar dog shelter.

I hadn't seen Fraser at all. I hadn't known what to do with Frost either. Like I had said, I didn't know if I could've taken care of him. I was barely at home and taking Frost along with me everywhere I went seemed like a really bad option.

In the end, I had decided to go over to the shelter. There was an hour left before school started. I was hoping to find Fraser there. And even if he wasn't there, I'm sure somebody would be there to take Frost back.

Frost barked at me, looking up at me with his large, blue eyes. As if telling me how cruel I really was.

I had no choice.

"I'm sorry, Frost." I stroked his fur before pushing open the tall metal gates and going inside. "I'll come visit you. I promise."

There wasn't anyone out in the garden area. Which was reasonable since it was quite early right now. I made my way towards the office and stopped in front of the glass doors.

Frost barked again, this time trying to wriggle out of my hands. Before I could've pushed open the glass doors, someone from the inside pulled it open.

I looked up at the brunette girl standing in front of me, a huge carton box in her hands. I didn't fail to notice the dark blue T-shirt that she was wearing, which said Paw Shelter For Pups.

"Hey!" She spoke up with a polite smile. "We aren't exactly open yet, but–"

"No. I just came here to give him back." I cut her off, holding Frost a little higher in my hands so that she'd get the clue.

Her eyebrows rose up a little when she looked at Frost. Frost, however, just barked at her, which sounded more like a growl.

"Oh." She nodded before looking back at me. "Can you be kind enough to place him where the other pups are? I've got this carton to take somewhere."

"Yeah. Sure." I nodded before walking over towards the garden. Frost once again, started struggling in my grasp. I really tried not to let go of him but when he bit my hand, I couldn't have stopped him.

"Ouch–hey!" I spoke up as he started running away. Literally. "Frost, come back."

Going after him, I realized that he was practically taking me away from the shed where the other pups were. If I got lost, he'd be the one to blame.

"Frost!" I stopped abruptly when he stopped too.

Looking around, I realized that we were behind the small shelter building now. I slowly went ahead and picked him up, back in my arms. Thankfully, he didn't try being aggressive this time.

"I'd be late for my classes, Frost." I muttered, glaring down at him. "Look, I know you'll hate me for this, but I have no choice."

He gave a short bark at that. I didn't even know if that was a bark of approval.

Or refusal.