33» That Fire

Grace's POV
« NOW »

When my night shift at Welsh's Bar got over, it was already midnight. And it was taking everything inside me to remain on my footing as I walked back home.

Frank had once again been kind of pissed off today at my lack of enthusiasm towards the customers. Which clearly wasn't my fault. My head had been clouded up with various thoughts and dealing with drunk customers wasn't an easy thing.

I was still thinking about the conversation I had with her.

Dr Blackwell. Cynthia.

I still couldn't let go of it. It seemed creepy and suspicious at the same time. After all, why would she think about helping me now? She could've helped me back when I was in Manhattan.

But she hadn't.

Almost as if she had been waiting for this specific time.

I straightened my light grey sweater over me and walked silently along the almost empty street. The sky was completely dark by now and I could spot only few people besides me.

I inhaled deeply, my hair blowing lightly along with the wind.

Back at the principal's office, she hadn't told me much. She hadn't even been specific about it. All she had told me was how she needed to meet me somewhere private to discuss further about this. She had given me her phone number to call her when I was ready to meet her again.

As if.

She thought I would agree to meet her. She thought I was stupid. I knew how desperate I looked about this. I was desperate to solve this mess. But I wasn't going to trust her.

She didn't seem like the person to be trusted.

I breathed out a small sigh of relief when I saw my house nearing. Walking over towards the familiar street, I stopped in front of the old wooden fence surrounding my house.

I was about to swing it open when I heard the slight rumble of a motorcycle. Almost immediately, I looked over towards my left and saw Luca's bike in his driveway. And he was just getting off from it.

He just came back.

My heart lurched involuntarily when he looked at me. This time, surprisingly, it was me who looked away first.

Opening up the fence, I walked inside towards my front door. All I was looking forward to was some sleep. I wasn't expecting anything to happen. Nothing at all.

So it actually took me off guard when I heard a small bark from the bushes surrounding the old apple tree in my yard. I immediately froze in my position, looking around. There was clearly no one.

But why did that bark sound so—