28» That Encounter

Grace's POV
« NOW »

"I'm Skylar, by the way." The girl said.

I had followed her to the restroom when she told me that she had managed to slip some wine on her dress too and needed to clean it. I wouldn't have followed her if she hadn't asked me to hold her cat.

"I'm...Grace." I spoke up. Luca had clearly told me not to indulge in conversations, but this girl didn't look so mean like those other people.

And she had a fluffy cat. Who was actually trying its best to jump out of my hands.

"Nice to meet you, Grace." Skylar said, her brown hair spilling from her bun as she furiously tried getting rid of the wine stain from her golden dress. "It's not gonna wear off. I just ruined an expensive dress."

I tried looking sympathetic for her, but failed. "Why did you help me back there? I know you spilled that wine on him on purpose."

She looked at me, her brown eyes widening in response. "You looked like you needed help. Should I have not done that? I mean, if you preferred that guy forcing himself on you."

I felt my face heating up at that. "No, I didn't. Thank you for what you did. Really."

She smiled then. "No problem." Then her face fell into a frown. "I've actually never seen you here before. Are you new?"

I nodded, slowly stroking her cat's fur, trying my best to calm it down. Fortunately, it worked a little.

"I came here to talk to Chase."

Her eyes widened at that. And for some reason, I realized I shouldn't have said that. She was a stranger after all.

"You mean, Chase Denver?" She asked. "He's a psychopath. Don't go near him. He and his disgustingly beautiful wife."

A smile made its way on my lips but I refrained myself from showing it. "What do you mean?"

"He's probably the richest gangleader out there. And he has his men everywhere." She spoke up. "But to be honest, I didn't even know his name until Caden told me."

I frowned at that. "He's a gangleader." It came out more like a statement rather than a question. Skylar, however, just nodded.

"Why are you here then? If you don't like this guy?" I asked her.

She just sighed and took her cat from me. I didn't even know cats were allowed here. "I just wanted a day off from college. Caden got invited here. He told me about it. And I couldn't have missed a chance like this."

"Who's Caden?" I asked.

"My...boyfriend." She hesitated a little before saying that, as if thinking. "Anyway, you should've told me earlier. We met Chase few minutes ago. I could've told him about you."

I didn't point out how I didn't know her back then.

Her phone rang all of a sudden. She took it out and watched the screen. "I gotta go now. Best of luck with the talk."

She gently squeezed my arm almost in a friendly gesture before walking away. I watched her leave with her cat, leaving me all alone.