40» That Hope

Grace's POV
« NOW »

"Who is that?" Alice broke the strange silence between us.

I eyed the sleek black car in my driveway, surprised to find it there. I hadn't ever seen that car before. Neither could I think of any reason why it would be here –right now– in my driveway.

"Who is it?" Alice repeated her question, looking at me this time before stopping her car in front of my driveway.

I frowned and shook my head. "I don't know." I really didn't.

My hand hovered over the door, ready to leave the car. I needed to know who that was.

Alice glanced at me. "You want me to come with you?"

I broke my gaze away from the car in my driveway and looked at her. "No. I'll be fine. Thanks."

Though something in my gut tugged itself as I opened the door and got out. Alice was still looking at me. Once I was out, closing the passenger door behind me, she glanced at me again with one last smile before driving away from my house towards her own driveway.

Taking in a deep breath, I turned around and started heading for my own house. Opening the wooden fence, I went sideways towards the driveway.

I had to squint my eyes as I neared towards the car, harsh sunlight right above it. It was quite hard to make out who was inside it.

My gaze swept over the expensive looking car before stopping at the gold letters encarved at the front of the car.

Blackwell Enterprises.

My eyes widened a little in recognition. Almost the exact second, the backdoor opened and somebody stepped out of the car.

Right. I should've seen this coming.

"Cynthia." I spoke up the moment she closed the door behind her.

She looked up at me and a smile almost immediately came over her lips. Then she started walking towards me. I froze in my position, hearing the clicking of her heels as she neared towards me.

"Grace, honey. How are you?" Her voice somehow sounded even sweeter than before. Which just increased the tugging feeling in my gut.

"Um...I'm good." I spoke up slowly, eyeing her and her car behind her. Now that the sunlight wasn't coming directly in my eyes, I noticed the driver; a man entirely in black, a grim expression on his face.

"That's great." The smile didn't leave her face. "Are you ready?"

I looked back at her almost immediately, a frown forming on my face. "Ready for what?"

Her smile twitched a little before she took off her sunglasses. "To come with me to the Research Department. To help you with the...messed up stuff. Remember?"

Messed up stuff.

I looked away from her, at my front door. "I never agreed to it, Cynthia. I think you got this all wrong."