10- One by one

~Time Skip~

{Your pov}

It's been almost 6 years since I arrived in the Glade. But 1 year since the new Gladers started to arrive.

We've established jobs, and who runs that job. We've got the builders, who's run by Gally, then we've got Med-jacks, which is run by Clint. Then there's the Runner, which Minho gladly took, then we have the Gardner's which Zart runs, then finally the cook, which Fry owns and only uses, except when Emmy wants to help.

We've done a lot more with the maze, getting more runners and mapping more of it out. Me and Newt became permanent partners, and only run every other day.

I became the leader, and I set Alby as my second in command. Emmy was treated like a princess by every Glader, and they all became her uncle's and best friends.

She's mostly close to Newt, Minho and Fry. She manages to make everyone happy without even trying.

We've started a new ritual, where every Glader carves there name into the wall. So that way we never forget how many people we have with us. Or had with us.

Just yesterday, we lost a runner, Jonny. He was so close to the doors, but it closed before he could get out of the maze.

We scratched his name out just today after the doors opened.

The runners stayed inside today, not running so they could mourn the loss of their friend.

But, one Glader began talking. Giving ideas on how we could leave.

And slowly everyone believed him. Until we had to call a meeting.

-No one's pov-

"Slim it!" YN yells as she stands in the middle of the hut.

"Now, we all know why we're here today. And since Nick decided to start suggesting things, he better get up here and start talking." Alby says.

YN glared at Nick as he walked up, but he pretended to not notice.

"I've thought of multiple ways we could escape this place. Unlike our 'leaders' I want to leave. Find out why we're here." Nick said.

"We want to leave Nick. But you haven't been here for even a month yet. And yet you think you own the bloody place." Newt said.

YN stood up and walked slowly around. "Nick, I've been here a long time. Longer than most considering that I was the first. Everything that's been done was done so that we would all be safe, so that we actually survive to find a way out of this place. But right now, our best chance to leave is to wait until we find a way out through the maze. We are in the center of it all." YN says.

"Around is walls, and outside that is our escape. Being in the center of the maze isn't always a disadvantage, but it can be an advantage as well. . . We are safe in here, and every day a few of us risk our lives to find a way out. For ALL of us. If there was another way out, besides this maze around us, we would have found it by now." YN states looking at all of the Gladers.

Silence fills the room as everyone looks at eachother. But Nick, he was fuming in rage. He was angry that she had power, that she could order him around. He didn't like that, and he wanted to prove her wrong, and get that power.

"Well, I guess you didn't try everything. George, follow me and grab the rope. Now." Nick snapped as he stomped out the room.

YN sighed as they all started to leave the room. But Newt, Minho, Alby and Emilia stayed.

"Come on. We need to go see what that Shanks planning." Minho sighed.

YN nodded and grabbed Emilia's hand, before they walked out. Emilia grabbed Newt's hand as she walked with her mother. Newt glanced down at the girl smiling before he looked back at the shank who was causing trouble in the Glade.

"George, start climbing." Nick ordered pointing to the ivy covered wall.

George hesitated, looking up at the wall before back at Nick. "But-"

"Now George!" Nick yelled, causing a few Gladers to flinch, Emilia included.

YN glared at Nick before looking at Minho. He nodded and picked up Emilia and started to walk back towards homestead.

"George, you don't have to do this-"

"Yes you do George. Or do you want to stay here forever because of her?!" Nick interrupted.

George shuffled before turning towards the wall and started to slowly climb.

"This isn't good. At all." YN whispered.

Newt glanced at her and slowly grabbed her hand, and interlocked their fingers. YN glanced down at their hands before looking at Newt. He smiled slightly and squeezed her hand for a second.

"I agree." He whispered.

They both sighed and looked back at George, who was climbing up a very dangerous path.

"George shouldn't have listened to him. This isn't going to end well." Alby muttered next to YN.

Newt and YN nodded, but stayed silent. Everyone watched silently, hoping that maybe he would reach the top of the maze safely.

Fear ran though everyone as he reached more than halfway up the wall. Every second that ticked by, George was getting slower and slower, and weaker. He stopped to take a small break and glances below him.

"Move it George !" Nick yelled up.

George huffed and blinked the sweat out of his eyes. He looked up and reached his hand up to grab another vine with his blistering bleeding hands.

And with a deadly snap, the vine broke below him, and sent him crashing the ground.

"NOOOOOOO!"

Silence fell over everyone was they all stared at their friend. His arms and legs twisted in directions they shouldn't be in. His mouth and eyes open as a trail of blood leaked out the corner of his mouth. His chest still and cold. And his eyes, cold and dead.

Tear started to pour down cheeks and YN turned her head to cry into Newt's chest. And barely a day since the first Glader was lost, the second name was to be crossed off.

And they hoped that the third wasn't going to be happening any time soon.