Chapter 5

When I woke up the next morning, I was back to my normal self. I looked at the sun streaming through the windows and smiled. Even if this room wasn't technically mine, it was absolutely beautiful.

Since I wasn't sure if this family shared breakfast with one another or not, I decided to just go downstairs and see if Charlotte was up yet. Maybe she could give me food to take back to my room, at the very least.

I scampered down the stairs lightly, and over to the door that I thought was her office. I knocked lightly three times and exhaled when I heard her say "Come in!"

The door creaked open heavily, and I took a step inside, gaping around the room in awe. Charlotte's office was undeniably beautiful. There were thick red sofas to sit across from each other in, and dark wooden bookshelves that lined the walls. She sat in a large leather swivel chair in front of a desk and had to actually push papers out of her way to fully see me. I stepped a little closer in and smiled softly. I love books. It seemed that she did too.

"Good morning, Maya! What are you doing up so early?" she asked cheerfully. I could've guessed that she was a morning person.

"I'm normally up this early." I explained. "I just wanted to know if I was allowed to have breakfast, but this is a very good distraction!" I said, motioning to the books.

She laughed and her eyes lit up, as any readers did when they found someone who shared their appreciation.

"Well you're certainly welcome to come here at any time and pick one up! As for the food situation, I'm sure we can find you something to eat." She stood and walked over to me and I smiled at her pajamas. They were purple with white polka dots on them, and despite not having a mom before, they screamed motherhood to me.

She walked us out of the office and into the kitchen, where white cabinets and perfect granite countertops filled the room. There was a walk-in pantry in the corner which she led me to, and a couple cabinets she opened which showed me bread, pop-tarts, and other foods that I cared about less.

"Completely your call on breakfast. We all wake up at such drastically different times that we couldn't possibly have it together." She said with a chuckle. "But I'd love to make you something now, if you're hungry."

I shook my head no, but my stomach growled, so she pushed me over to the countertop with a laugh and I hopped onto it. She began pulling out ingredients and bowls and passing them to me to hold.

"So why were you normally up this early?" she asked, as she lit the stove top.

"Chores." I said, in as even of a tone as I could manage.

"You had a lot to do, then?" she asked, curiosity burning like a candle behind her soft words.

"I guess so." I said with a shrug. I wasn't giving her anything.

"Can you give me an example of some?" she said.

"Mow the lawn," Pay the bills. "Get dressed," Help him get dressed. "Clean up... nothing too crazy." I replied. She nodded, facing away, and I watched the butter sizzle in the pan. Its aroma filled the room almost automatically.

"You know I think we better hit the mall first thing today." She said, facing my outfit with a smirk. "Or these are gonna get a little bit old." She poked my stomach making me laugh and stick my tongue out in defense, surprising myself at the playfulness I displayed.

"I liked this shirt..." I said, looking down as if I was sad.

"It is cute!" she said immediately, apologetically, until I looked up and winked at her.