Chapter 36

When the alarm on my phone buzzed, I woke up with a start. I hadn't intended to nap today, but I think after everything that happened yesterday and the lack of sleep that I got last night, it was inevitable. I pressed the button to stop the incessant ringing and sat up. My room was a pretty color in the afternoon light. The buttery sunlight colored the white of my blankets a softer shade and made my walls look happier. Perhaps I was too used to seeing them appear dangerous and shapeless in the late night.

I checked the clock on my phone again and realized I had about 10 minutes until I was supposed to meet Dom downstairs. I wasn't sure yet if I wanted to be early to impress him or late to mess with him, but I may as well get ready.

I pulled on blue jeans from Abercrombie that perfectly fit my figure and a navy-blue shirt that had little white stripes. I found small black boots that covered my ankle but were supposed to be used in the rain. Regardless, I pulled them on as instructed.

When I was ready, I poked my head out the doorway of my room and shot a cursory glance around the hall. I had stayed in my room all morning to avoid Charlotte, and I wasn't about to bump into her now. I scurried lightly down the steps and into the garage at precisely 2:01PM. Fashionably late... if that's what that meant.

I closed the door softly so that Charlotte wouldn't come and investigate but jumped when I heard a booming laugh behind me.

"She's not coming." Dominic teased, his head popping out from behind a black jeep. I squeezed by the front bumper and the wall towards him.

"I know." I mumbled as he walked over to me and crossed his arms, blocking my view entirely. He was nearly buzzing with excitement as he leaned down to meet me eye to eye. I forgot what I was worried about as he twisted his hands and took a deep breath.

"Are you ready to see my pride and joy?" he asked, suddenly serious. "My baby, my queen, the love of my life?"

I nodded. Not like I had anything better to do.

"Are you suuure?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. What was this, a school fundraiser?

"Yes Dominic! I'm ready!!" I said with frustration, bouncing up on my toes. He smiled at that and stepped aside, waving a hand towards whatever he had been hiding before. I leaned forward and took a step closer as I examined the glossy black motorcycle that suddenly came into view.

I couldn't help but whistle as I moved beside it, and my eyes shot wide.

"Is this...?" My surprise overrode my ability to form complete sentences, but I quickly recovered. "This is yours?" I asked as I stroked the Harley Davidson insignia on the side of the bike with one finger. I turned back to him and he nodded with a proud smile.

"It's a 2019 Road King." He beamed as we both turned to check it out. I had an urge to step away to keep it safe, as if it were fragile.

"How do you have one of those?" I asked, in shock. These bikes were worth thousands of dollars at the very least. The upkeep alone must be hundreds of dollars a year.

"It was my Dad's. Well, the money from one of his old ones that had broken down." Dominic said in a low voice, almost as if he was getting choked up. I examined his expression, but he seemed as normal as ever when he continued. "He took me on my first ride, and I caught the bug. Mom was pissed."

I laughed. "My dad had one of these too! I mean, not a Harley. He had a Honda Magma, '99. My uncle kept it in the garage until he finally found someone to strip it for parts. The thing wasn't worth much by the time he sold it, but I remember it was beautiful as a kid."

Dominic's eyes widened, as if we had shared a secret.

"That's awesome!" he replied immediately. "You never got to ride it?"

"Not that I remember." I said, squinting as if the memory was fuzzy but focusing my eyes could clear it up.

"Well," he replied cheerfully, "today is your lucky day."

I jerked up and took a step closer, grabbing his arm in a death grip.

"No way!" I said almost angrily, as if he was lying to me.

"Only if you want to." he said reassuringly, as if anything in the world could stop me.

"Please can I ride with you Dom? Please?" I asked, giving him my puppy dog eyes.

"I'd love that Maya. As long as you have the proper gear." He said. He spun to face a long metal table with a bulletin board above it covered in tools that I hadn't noticed before today. The top of the table was filled with batteries, wires, tools, and toolboxes that held more than I could ever imagine using. I was simultaneously impressed and overwhelmed. He crouched down to the level beneath it, pulling out two black jackets and a single helmet.

"Dad had an old jacket I guess he wouldn't mind me using." He said shyly. "And you can borrow mine."

He passed the leather jacket I had seen him wearing yesterday to me. So, it wasn't just a fashion statement.

"And we only have one helmet so, for now..." he passed it to me and grinned. "Don't tell Mom."

I nodded and looked at the gear in my hands, attempting to figure it out on my own. A couple minutes later, Dominic was zipping my jacket up and clipping my helmet into place, slamming the top part down safely. He pulled up the wind shield and said, "Are you sure you want to ride with me?"

I laughed eagerly and replied, "Hells yeah." He laughed too and jumped on the bike agilely, hitting the kickstand up with his heel.

"Hop on then!" He called over the engine's purr as it roared to life. I hesitated for a moment, wondering if this was a good idea. There was a reason people thought these things were dangerous, right?

As the engine revved again and the butterflies flurried about in my stomach, I pushed down my fear and hopped on the back seat.

Only one way to find out.

And with that, he pulled us between the cars, down the driveway, and out onto the road, leaving my stomach and fears back in the garage. 

- - - - - - - - 

A/N I have ridden this thing many times and my story will tell you exactly what it feels like, so you don't have to try it at home yourself! Be safe! :P