Chapter 44

At dinner that night, Dominic cleared his throat and silenced everyone.

"I think Maya has something she'd like to tell us." He said, waving towards me.

"I do?" I asked.

"Your text." He whispered. My face lit up and I nodded.

"Oh yeah! I made a friend today! J.J.! She's really nice and we got lunch together and talked about our favorite books!" I said, sort of reminiscing. I had enjoyed eating lunch with her even more than I thought I would. She loved painting and got a lot of her inspiration from books and TV and had already started a list of shows that I needed to watch. She was a junior like me and seemed really nice.

Damon looked at me with a blank expression while Brooks gave a cheer and Caleb and Charlotte clapped.

"She made a friend. It's not like it's hard." Damon said, until Charlotte glared.

"I think it's great!" Charlotte said, enthused. "Everyone could use someone to talk to!"

"Yeah, and J.J. is cool." Caleb assured me. "I haven't officially met her, but I've seen some of her work in the art classroom. She's really good!"

I smiled at him, pleased.

"You're really encouraging as a person." I complimented Caleb. He looked confused for a second before smiling and stretching his arms around me for a hug. I hugged him back, pretty surprised. The boys rarely hugged me of their own volition. I guess he was rarely complimented like that. I made a mental note to do it more.

"This is why sisters are so much better than brothers." He said before taking another big bite of food.

"Because they lie to you?" Damon scoffed at him with a smirk.

"It wasn't a lie!" I protested, my voice rising. "Why are you so angry all the time?"

I didn't mean to let the last part slip, but I couldn't help it. He was rude and cocky and mean, and he never let up like the others did. I knew they didn't always want me here, but Damon was the only one who didn't let me forget it.

"Why are you here all the time?" he hissed back, leaning casually over the back of his seat.

"I live here... for now." I stuttered, unsure of myself.

"Not forever." He replied quickly.

"Thank god for that! I don't think I could last another day with you." I spat.

"Then go!" He said through clenched teeth. I couldn't stop the hurt from coloring my expression. Brooks reached an arm out to wrap around me, but I shrugged it off, angrily.

"Damon! Maya!" Charlotte interrupted with all the ferocity of a lion. "Living room. Now."

I dropped my napkin angrily on the table and stormed to the living room as Damon slinked in behind me. I sat on the couch and glared in the general direction of the TV, wishing Charlotte came sooner so I wouldn't have to be alone with him.

She walked in a moment later and pointed to the couch, making Damon sit next to me on it. He took the farthest seat he could, before sinking down furiously. Did I do something to piss him off?

Charlotte met both of our eyes and spoke in the calming but persistent voice she used during our sessions. She was trying to calm Damon down, it seemed, while holding us both accountable.

"Maya," she began. "It was not okay to lash out on Damon because he upset you."

"But-" I argued, before she silenced me with a look. She turned to him.

"Damon, whatever has gotten into you is not acceptable. Maya is a guest here and as far as I'm concerned, a member of this family. Why are you being so rude to her?"

I tried not to look hopeful at her words, but truthfully, I was over the moon. I was part of the family in her eyes?

"I don't want her here." He said, not sparing a glance in my direction.

"Why?" she asked calmly.

"Dominic taking her on rides, Caleb becoming her best friend, even Brooks!" He snapped with fury still evident in his tone.

His breathing started to speed up and become shallow, and I froze. It felt like ice had leaked into my entire system, locking my muscles in place. I wasn't even confident that I could blink. In my experience, other people's anger came before the pain. I tried not to make it obvious when I wiggled my toes, trying to wake them up. As Damon calmed himself down, I shifted my feet flat on the ground and angled them to run. Charlotte and Damon didn't seem to notice. He didn't make a move toward me like my uncle would've. He stayed seated on the couch, eyes on the floor.

"Why does that make you upset?" Charlotte asked, compassion and pity adorning her gentle features.

He rolled his eyes and I immediately understood how he felt. He didn't want to be psychoanalyzed by a therapist; he wanted his mom to understand him.

"We don't need a replacement." He said as he stood up, shaking his head and pulling his keys from his pocket. He began walking to the door and didn't turn around as Charlotte called after him.

When the door slammed shut, I winced.

"I'm sorry." I immediately said. Charlotte stood up and came to sit beside me on the sofa.

"No, sweetheart. It's not your fault. He just needs to blow off some steam." She replied sweetly, grabbing my hand in hers.

I wasn't in the mood to argue with her relentless kindness today.

"Can I go up to my room?" I asked. She looked down at me sadly, before nodding and letting me go. I ran up the stairs and pulled my door closed tightly but softly.

I felt like my mind was filled with pieces, but I couldn't see the final picture of the puzzle. I knew I could put them all together, but it seemed like there just wasn't enough time.