Chapter 22

Dinner that night was sort of quiet. Damon and Brooklyn had gone out to see a movie with some girls, and Caleb was fuming at his lack of invitation. Being the youngest kid in a family really didn't look fun. (A/N For my Day in my Life readers lol) 

Dominic was home and attempting to comfort him, but I was comforting Charlotte. She planned to see a friend she hadn't seen in a while, and I looked forward to it for her. She worked too much.

"Just for a little!" she assured me, as she waited for her ride. I laughed aloud and resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

"We'll be fine." I said, grinning at her lack of faith.

"My number is taped to the landline and Damon is trained in CPR and First aid and-"

I cut her off.

"Charlotte, I've been home alone quite a bit in my life and have yet to die. Caleb will be fine too, no matter how much he pouts." I threw the insult over my shoulder casually, making sure he could hear it.

"Hey!" he shouted from the couch in the living room.

"Well, ya will!" I shouted back.

Dominic came up behind me.

"Mom. Stop worrying. It'll be fine." He wrapped his big arms around her and gave her a squeeze.

"I'll keep Maya safe." He said with a knowing grin. She let out a nervous breath until the doorbell rang and she rushed to it.

"KATHY!" she screeched as the door opened. I had heard her mournful, and pitiful, and cheerful, but I'd never heard her screech like a banshee before. The two women embraced each-other tightly, bouncing side to side. She waved bye to us reluctantly as her friend pulled her outside into the cold night air. A breeze flew in behind her and I shivered, wishing I was wearing a hoodie. At least I had sweats on.

"I'm glad she gets some downtime." I told Dominic, turning in his direction with a laugh.

"Yeah. She talks to a lot of crazy kids. She needs it." He smirked in my direction and I rolled my eyes in response. We walked back in the direction of the TV.

"Me? Crazy?" I said. "Nah. Pretty sure there's only one psycho in this house and he's sobbing on the couch."

"I'M NOT SOBBING MAYA. SHUT UP." Caleb shouted, raging as we walked into the room.

Dominic raised his eyebrows at him and said, "Excuse me?"

Caleb looked at the ground angrily then back up to me. "Okay sorry, don't shut up."

"I didn't plan on it." I said angelically as I sat beside him. Dominic followed suit.

"What's for dinner?" I asked as politely as I could, turning to Dominic. I was ravenous.

"Ummmm... I could heat up a frozen pizza or cook spaghetti or something?" he offered. My eyes lit up at spaghetti and he stood up with a smile.

"Got it." He said, chuckling.

"I didn't even say anything!" I replied.

"I know what you said." He answered with a laugh. Damn he was almost as good as me at reading people.

"How do you guys both know what everyone is thinking all the time? It's kind of freaky." Caleb pointed out.

Dominic poked him in the forehead between his eyes and said "It's called Emotional Intelligence, doofus. Look it up."

"Yeah!" I said, as Dominic walked into the kitchen. "We basically read minds. It's my superpower." I put my hands on my hips and looked into the distance as if I was Supergirl. Or maybe Batgirl... black was more my color.