Chapter 55

I woke up to a stinging pain in my hands, as if I had done the hitting. I rubbed them together, tears in my eyes, praying that it wasn't true. And just like a nightmare, the darkness seeped away, and I was once again at the party.

I clutched the banister fervently, keeping my eyes focused on the steps I had left to climb. I had fallen, but I hadn't tripped all the way down the stairs. I had merely stumbled to the ground and held my position until the memory had passed.

No one had seen. No one was here except for me and Asher Kelly, and he was in a room with a closed door. I kept walking until I reached the first room. My hand hesitated over the door as I debated whether to knock or not, but I heard voices and so I listened in.

It sounded like people were fighting...

I pulled the door open quickly to see Damon holding Asher by the neck of his shirt and Brooks and Caleb positioned directly behind him.

"There you are!" Caleb said, rushing to my side.

"I guess you found him." I said, looking into the arrogant face of my nemesis. Despite being in the scariest place I could imagine, he looked at ease and smiled at me with a little wave.

"Hi, angel." He said as if his date had arrived and we'd be heading out to go dance any minute.

I raced towards him, unsure of what I was going to do, but Damon dropped him and held me back with one hand.

"Let go!" I said, growling at him.

"Maya." He said calmly. "What're you going to do?"

"Yeah, Maya," Asher repeated tauntingly. "What're you gonna do?"

I tried to break free from Damon's grip, but he tightened his hold using his full arm at this point, which I grabbed and tugged on to try and loosen. After a brief struggle, I calmed down and looked up at him in frustration.

"I've got this." He said, looking into my eyes. His blue eyes were dulled from the dim light of the room, but I knew when he faced Asher once more, they would shine a threatening icy blue. I gave him a nod and glared at my enemy.

Asher gave me a little wink and straightened up as Damon walked back toward him.

"You will tell people you were lying. You will say you made it up because you're a pathetic loser. You will tell the truth." He threatened menacingly, nearly making me shrink down with the intensity of it. I could still feel the pain on my cheek from the memory I'd fallen into. It made me want to grab Damon's arm and make sure he wouldn't hurt Asher or anyone. People who were strong had a gift, and that gift came with responsibility. They should use it to protect the weak, not to hurt them.

Asher, however, remained calm in the face of his fearsome adversary.

"Okay." He agreed simply, looking the picture of innocence. We all turned to each other in surprise. It was that easy?

"But I want to talk to Maya, alone. Give me 10 minutes." He suggested calmly.

"No deal." Brooks said, marching closer and shielding me from sight.

"Not a chance." Damon agreed, crossing his arms over his chest and bulging his muscles.

I rolled my eyes in exasperation at the theatrics.

"Guys. It's fine. Let's just do it and we can end this." I said, giving in. If ten minutes was this last that I'd have to see of this annoyance, I'd gladly take it.

"Are you sure?" Caleb asked, grabbing my hand. His face looked worried, so I smiled in a relaxed manner to show him that I wasn't.

"Can you guys meet me in the car please?" I asked.

"What if he hurts you?" Brooks asked me in a whisper that Asher could definitely overhear.

"I wouldn't hurt her. And besides, even if I did, you guys would just murder me at school on Monday." The devil reasoned.

"I'll be fine." I mouthed to Damon, who nodded and motioned the others to leave the room with him.

"Ten minutes," he announced as he closed the door. "Or I'm coming back up here and I'm not asking for an explanation."