Chapter 39

The room was black and white only, as if I had stepped into a picture in a newspaper or an old-fashioned movie. Everything was contrasted against each other except for one brown teddy bear that lay in the center of the black bed. What really caught my attention was the wall behind the bed, though. What once might've been a white wall was now completely covered with black and white pictures. Some were of nature: flowers without color or the ocean splashing against rocks in different shades of grey. Some were of places or objects: a rack of sunglasses at a thrift shop or a modern looking lamp against a pale background. But my favorite were the people: guys gathered together in a huddle for soccer, Dominic, Damon, Caleb, Charlotte, and more than anyone or anything else; pictures of Valerie. She was lying on a couch, she was mad, she was laughing, holding ice cream, at the beach...

I could guess whose room this was before he spoke.

"What're you doing in here?" Brooklyn said, not accusatory but curious.

I turned to face him and smiled at the Star Wars shirt and plaid pajama bottoms he was wearing. He looked down and covered his arms over the logo insecurely, making his muscles bulge to appear more intimidating. It looked like he had just come from a shower, his hair was still dripping wet.

"I'm sorry," I said genuinely, looking into his eyes. "I kind of fell in here on accident..."

"You fell into a room on accident?" he said with a smile and eyes that were thinking that I'm crazy.

"Never mind! Sorry! I'll just go back to my room!" I said, walking away from the wall of pictures.

"You don't have to." He said as I reached the door. I turned back to see him sitting on the bed. He patted one side and I hesitantly walked back over. I didn't get in the bed but waited.

"You doing okay?" he asked me worriedly. "Today was kind of rough for you."

I forced my face to go blank as a statue and answered, "It was fine." I tried to think of a positive spin so he wouldn't have to worry.

"I got to ride a motorcycle, so that was good." I added happily.

He stayed silent, encouraging me to go on. It worked, somehow.

"I just don't want to be the freak that never goes to school," I admitted. "I'm still a little mad at Charlotte."

He nodded understandingly. I sat next to him on the bed finally, and he held out an arm, letting me sit close to him. I did, but pulled back when drops of water from his hair dripped onto my shoulder.

"Ew!" I said, while he rolled his eyes.

"You'll be fine." He said.

"I mean, I know it's water from your shower but it's still really cold and-"

"Not about that, idiot!" he said, nudging me with his shoulder.

"Oh."

"You won't be the freak at school because you missed two days. We've all missed way more school than that." He said.

"In the first week of school?" I asked shrewdly.

"No..." he admitted. "But still. It'll be okay. And you and Mom will work out your little argument too."

My lower lip jutted out as I thought of something else.

"I didn't mean to make you guys scared today, Brooks. I thought we'd be back really soon, and nobody would even notice. I'm not really used to having people worry about me." I said, scratching the back of my neck awkwardly.

He looked at me and I could see him practically melt. The pouting look didn't really work on Dom or Damon, but apparently it did on him. Good to know.

"Maya don't worry about it! We just got a little worried. Keep us updated on where you are, if you can. We want you to be safe." He said.

I gave him a little salute and he laughed.

"Now go to bed, soldier." He said, rolling his eyes.

"Actually, I'm the sergeant. That's the one who is in charge, right?" I asked, standing up and as tall as I could.

He stood up next to me and smirked down.

"Nope. You've been demoted." He said resolutely.

I laughed and pointed to his wall. "I love your pictures, by the way. Did you take them all?"

I saw pride creep onto Brooklyn's face as he shook his head yes.

"They're really, really good." I said truthfully. Although I had always pictured him as an athlete, it looked like he had more facets to him than I originally saw. You couldn't know everything about a person in a single day if you tried. I wonder why I always thought I could guess in a single minute.

"Thanks, My." He said. I could tell he didn't quite believe the compliment, but that he really loved taking pictures and the collage of sorts that he displayed. "My life is made up of little memories and transcendent moments. I had the privilege to capture some, so my room is made up of the same thing."

I made an expression like a wise person who understood art, even though I don't, really. He chuckled at the face I was making, making me grin my real smile.

"I like your teddy bear, too." I said, pointing to the little brown bear on the bed.

His forehead wrinkled up and when he saw it, he shook his head.

"Oh, that's not mine." He said immediately. I could easily picture a mature guy saying that he knew nothing about a teddy bear to seem cooler, but he seemed like he really meant it.

"Whose is it?" I asked curiously.

"It's not important." He replied, face closed into the same stone-cold mask mine had been when he asked me about my feelings. Maybe all foster kids were the same in that way. He suddenly put a hand on my back and guided me back toward the door, though we'd been only a couple of feet away.

I stepped out into the hall as he smiled again. It wasn't the same smile he had when he talked about pictures or Valerie. It wasn't real.

"Good night Maya. Have happy dreams, okay?" he asked somewhat happily.

I nodded, biting my lip. He began to shut the door, but I put my foot in the doorframe at the last minute. He stopped just before the door hit me.

"What?" he asked impatiently.

Before I could stop the dangerous words from tumbling out of me, they slipped.

"Brooks... who's Bella?" I asked uncertainly.

His eyes flashed in recognition and he unconsciously glanced over at the teddy bear out of the corner of his eye.

"Go to sleep, Maya." He said coldly, pushing my foot out of the doorway and closing it softly behind him.