Chapter 13

It had officially been two months since I had begun staying with the Anders, and there was not an end in sight. I had eventually moved my clothing into drawers, and I was getting used to the routine of the house. I would wake up fairly early to do my chores or talk with Charlotte, and when all the work was finished, I would get breakfast or go on my computer. I spent the rest of the day reading in Charlotte's study while she worked or trying to convince one of the boys to play a game with me. Taking a swim in the pool was fun at the start of summer, but it had finally gotten cold in California as September neared and I couldn't handle being outside in just a swimsuit anymore. Dinner together was a nightly occurrence, unless the boys were out with friends, or girls. Although Brooks was seeing one girl pretty regularly, Caleb and Damon seemed to hop around and explore their options. Dominic simply didn't date.

If I got especially bored, I would grab a blank composition book and go around the house, writing facts about the family like they were characters. Scrawls about their personalities filled my page, as well as funny things that I saw happen, or metaphors that came into my mind. I may not have had the most consistent education before coming here, but Charlotte told me she thought I was insanely intelligent. I told her that she was crazy, but secretly wrote down the compliments she said to read when I was scared. My uncle's words still filled my mind, but sometimes hers would fight back. I was working on it.

All in all, I was at peace. I felt safe enough to be myself, and even act like a bit of a child again. I had never gotten to fight an older brother over the last piece of chocolate cake or celebrate someone's birthday. Sometimes Charlotte even took me to a nearby park with her that was almost always empty and let me go on the swings while she read. I knew it was childish, but it was fun.

Of course, as I finally found a rhythm, it was shattered. At dinner in early September, Charlotte broke the news to us.

"So, as you guys know, school is starting up again in 2 weeks..." she said, sitting down.

Brooks smashed his face into his hands and Damon groaned. Caleb kind of smiled... I guess he liked school.

"Yes, yes, it's so very awful to have an incredible, free education." Charlotte teased, rolling her eyes.

I chuckled and she turned to me slightly and winked, so only I could see. I think I taught her that.

"What grades are you guys in?" I asked, curiously. I knew their ages at this point, but I wasn't really sure where those ages fell in high school.

"Senior year, baby." Damon said, confidently.

"Junior." Caleb said with a smile.

"Senior." Brooks said.

I turned to Dominic and he laughed. "School doesn't go in for another month for me, I'm in my third year of college. I go to Canyons University, nearby."

My mouth dropped in awe and he smirked. "What kind of classes do you take there?" I asked.

"My major is social work, like mom, so I learn a lot about children, psychology, etcetera." He said, as she beamed proudly.

"That's awesome!" I said eagerly.

He nodded in agreement. "What grade are you in, Maya?" he asked.

"Umm... I'm not really sure." I said sheepishly as everyone turned to look at me. "I missed a lot of last year..." I explained, blushing and looking down. I didn't want them to think I was dumb.

"Not your fault." Charlotte reminded me sternly. I looked up at her and rolled my eyes at her relentless optimism, to which she raised an eyebrow. I laughed and mouthed "Sorry." She nodded, forgiving it, and then stood up and picked up some forms that had been lying on the counter in the kitchen.

"Actually, I was going to talk to you about this later, but we can definitely do it now."

She said this pseudo-cheerfully, as if she was putting on a show. I wondered what she was so nervous about.

"The agency and I have been talking and agree that you should really be attending high school as long as you stay with us." She said in one large breath. "I would provide all the supplies you would need of course and pay for you to go to the same school as the boys so you could start out with some familiar faces." She smiled at me nervously.

"What grade would I be in?" I asked cautiously.

"Well, they would give you an entrance exam before school began so that they could determine your academic level and see where to put you!"

Ahh. I see the catch. I had to be good enough to get in.

"What if I'm not good enough?" I asked her, ignoring the protests of the boys.

"Maya, you're brilliant, you could absolutely handle it." Dominic said to my right.

"Yeah! You're smarter than me!" Caleb said, slamming a fist down on the table.

"You're at least a freshman." Damon said with a laugh.

I looked at Charlotte pointedly and said, "Tell me the truth."

She sighed and said, "Even if you didn't pass, which I know you would, you would just restart freshman year by taking classes here at home with me."

I grimaced uncomfortably at that. I wasn't that young... and I didn't exactly want to stay home all day with her either if everyone else was out learning. I could handle high school.

"I'll take the test, and we can see what happens." I said, looking down.

"Perfect!" she said, clapping her hands together. "Then that's settled."

"When do I take it?" I asked, looking up.

She smiled cautiously again and said, "Are you free tomorrow?"