Chapter 35

The next morning brought with it good news and bad news. The good news was that I didn't have to feel bad about the homework I had neglected to turn in, or the fact that my teachers probably hated me. The bad news was that I wouldn't be going to school at all.

When we sat down for breakfast in the morning, Charlotte came out in her pajamas and pulled me over to the island to talk. She told me that she didn't want me going to school today, and that it would be smarter to let everything die down and go back to school when it was calm. Part of my mind knew she was doing it to make me happy at my school and not feel judged or scared, but that part of me must've been deep down because I was furious.

My heart began to race, and my muscles tightened as I protested.

"That's not fair Charlotte! I want to go to school today!" I didn't want to be the freak that missed the first couple days of school. I didn't want to go back when everyone already made friends and be the outcast again.

Damon, Brooks, and Caleb turned to look at our argument. I suppose I yelled a little louder than I meant to.

Charlotte's face went blank and I could see that she wasn't budging on this. Her blue eyes darkened as she said "I'm sorry, Maya. You're not going back today, and that's final."

"That's not FAIR!" I yelled again, as I glared knives at her, and she reacted as calmly as if I was whispering. The guys watched me with surprise. They hadn't seen me this angry before.

"I'm going to school." I tried again my voice cold.

"No, you're not." She replied calmly. "You're staying home today, and Caleb will get the assignments you need. You'll go back when I let you. It's not safe yet."

My hands tightened and I wanted to grab something and smash it. It wasn't fair of her. She wasn't in charge of me. None of them were. I wanted to storm out of the house, but I was sure she would stop me, or one of the boys would.

I let out a yell of frustration and stormed up to my room angrily. I sat down on my bed and dropped my backpack, before grabbing my pillow and screaming into it. When I finished, tears began to spill from my eyes. I didn't want to be the loser that never showed up, again. I didn't want to be a freak. Why would Charlotte do this to me?

I heard a knock on my door.

"Stay out!" I yelled, trying to conceal the crying from my voice.

"I'm sorry, My. Caleb and I will make sure we get all your assignments and I'll talk to mom about it! I'm sure you can come back soon." Brooks replied through the door. I didn't answer and after a little while, I heard his footsteps walk away.

Caleb called goodbye to me before they headed out, but I laid down on my bed and kicked my shoes off without answering.

Twenty minutes later, there was another knock. I knew the boys had already left for school, so I said, "Go away!"

I heard the door open, so I groaned and whipped my face around to see who was coming. Dominic raised an eyebrow as he took in what I looked like, and I faced the pillow again, embarrassed. I smushed my face down and listened hard as he walked over to the desk and took a seat in my chair.

"Heard that mom didn't want you going to school today." He said in his deep voice. The chair he was in creaked as he presumably leaned back and got comfortable.

"Nope," I replied acidly. "She wants me to never make any friends so I can be safe."

He sighed but didn't bother replying or trying to justify her actions, which I appreciated.

"Well I don't have much to do for work today. Want to do something fun?" he asked.

I thought about it for a moment. I peeked over my shoulder at him and said, "I kind of had plans to wallow in my misery and misfortune today."

The corner of his lip quirked up and he replied, "Do you think you'll be done with that by 2 PM?"

I considered and finally nodded.

He smiled and stood up, cracking his knuckles as he stretched them.

"Perfect. Meet in the garage at 2 PM sharp. Wear jeans, and shoes that cover your ankle if you have some." He said, giving me a look as if warning me about something. I wondered what, but I figured he'd like it to be a surprise. I nodded, and he gave me a wink before heading back to his room.