Chapter 52

"So, you're not dating Asher Kelly?" Caleb asked for the fifteenth time, trying to get the story from me once more. His eyes were laser-focused on me as if he could tell if I was truly lying from a twitch in my expression or something. I kept my eyes staring straight back so he knew I was serious.

"No! Dear god. Why would I be? He's an arrogant annoying smirk monster and I don't need another in my life." I sighed.

"Then why is he telling everyone you are?" He was scratching his chin while I rolled my eyes. Did I have to explain this again?

"He hates me. He's probably just trying to piss me off. Get a reaction out of me." I said.

"Yes," he agreed. "But what kind of reaction?"

"Annoyed?" I guessed, not really caring.

"Maybe he wants to talk to you?" he asked, rubbing his chin in contemplation.

"Why-" Through my anger, it took me a second for the logic to reach me. Oh my gosh, he was probably right.

"That might be it..." I admitted, letting my dark hair hang in front of my face instead of pushing it back.

"Why does he want to talk to you?" he said.

I thought of my conversation with Asher, ending with his threat. I bit my lip and looked at the window.

"I don't know." I lied. He didn't catch it, luckily. He stood up and grabbed my hand, pulling me up to his level and dragging me out the door.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"We're going to find him! He thinks he can spread rumors about you without us all confronting him?" he said as we stormed down the stairs. Well, he stormed. I tried to keep up.

"Us all?" I repeated incredulously.

"Of course we're going to bring back-up!" he explained as he walked us into the living room and stopped in front of Damon and Brooks.

"You guys, we're going out tonight." Caleb said resolutely.

"Where?" Brooks asked as Damon said "sick". He stood up and popped his knuckles as Caleb said "The party off Seco. We've got an idiot to confront."

"We?" I asked again, trying to tug him back.

"That's right." He said, grabbing the keys from their hook and tossing them to Damon. "Let's go."

- - - - - - - - - - - - 

Caleb caught Damon and Brooks up to date in the car, and they were both relieved to hear that I wasn't actually dating Asher.

"You guys really think so little of me?" I scoffed haughtily.

"Well, girls are weird." Damon replied, checking over his shoulder before pulling off onto a residential side road.

I opened my mouth to argue but Caleb cut me off by pointing and yelling "That's it!"

We all spun to face the house that Damon's friend had given us the address too.

I had to admit, I was a little disappointed. The first party I had ever been to, and it didn't even look that wild. It was a regular house on an average looking street. The only thing distinguishing it from the others was a ripped yellow paper from a legal pad taped to the door.

When we got close enough to the paper, we could read "Just walk in" and saw an arrow pointing around to the side of the house. I could hear the buzz of people talking inside when I leaned closer to the door.

"Is Charlotte going to be mad at us?" I asked Brooks as Caleb charged us forward across the damp lawn toward the garden gate.

"Well, we're not going to the party." He justified, although he sounded unsure of himself.

"That's funny." I said as the music got louder, and Caleb ripped open the gate to the bright lights and crowd of people. "It looks a lot like we are going to the party."

Brooklyn turned back to me with a shrug and gave me a wink, which surprisingly did ease some of my anxiety. At least if we went down, we'd all go down together.

"You could always wait in the car." Damon teased as they walked past me into the lights. I hesitated by the door, looking over my shoulder at the car.

Then I turned back, straightened my shoulders, and took a big step in.