Chapter 41

I was so excited to go back to school it was crazy. If the kids at school knew how hyped I was, they definitely wouldn't be my friend. As it was, the boys in the house were convinced I was crazy.

As we all scarfed down breakfast and Brooks poured himself a bowl of cereal, Damon laughed.

"Why are you bouncing?" he asked me, raising one black eyebrow.

"I'm excitedddd!" I said buoyantly. And he was right, I was bouncing. I couldn't help it! I was convinced that today I would get to be normal, or make a friend, or do well in class or something! I might be a nerd... but sue me! I was happy, so I would let myself be!

"About what?" Brooklyn said with an easy smile. His curls fell over his forehead and nearly covered his eyes as he sat next to me. I wanted to push them back into place, but his question distracted me.

"School." I replied confidently, holding my chin up high.

"And...?" Caleb asked.

I giggled. "Just school!"

After exchanging a look and confirming that I was, in fact, crazy, we all got in the car and started driving.

"Wish we were on the motorcycle instead." I said, trying to lean out the open window and remember how the wind felt on my body. Caleb and Brooklyn hummed their agreement. I turned to Damon, waiting for a reply.

He shrugged, as he caught my gaze in the rearview mirror. "Dominic has never taken me on the motorcycle before, so I wouldn't know."

"What?" My eyes nearly bulged out of my head. "Why not?"

"It reminds me of a rollercoaster." He said, pretending to shiver in fright. "No thank you."

I put my hand over my mouth to cover my laughter. His eyes turned into slits as he glared at me.

"What's so funny back there, missy?" he asked.

I dropped my hand and tried to calm my smile, shaking my head. "Nothing." I replied, trying to keep my tone normal.

"Oh yeah?" he asked. He pulled us into a parking spot at school and spun back to face me.

I nodded and turned away, but Caleb caught my eye with a grin, and soon we were both laughing at him.

"You're afraid of rollercoasters?" I asked quizzically. He reached a hand back and poked me in the side, making me laugh harder.

He rolled his eyes and got out of the car as Caleb and my laughter subsided.

"What a wimp." Caleb said, the sound of the door opening startling us as we both turned to check if Damon heard.

"Okay, maybe we're wimpy, too." He said as we got out of the car.

"Not me." I said, elbowing him.

"Oh yeah?" Brooklyn asked as we began walking onto campus. He shielded his eyes from the sun to look down at me.

"Yep. I'm fearless." I said nonchalantly. And in the moment, it sort of felt like I was.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

A/N Caleb and Maya cracking up at absolutely nothing is my favorite thing to write. I invented them and I'm awwwing at how cute they are... lol. More chapters coming soon! Thanks for the comments and ideas!! Reminder: I'm still writing this story, so feel free to give me any suggestions you've got! I might take em :D