Chapter 31

The next morning, I woke up around 6:30 to my alarm playing a Taylor Swift song. I was glad the boys hadn't heard; I was sure even Brooks would tease me for it.

Unlike yesterday, today I was prepared and had laid out my backpack and clothes beforehand. I was used to wearing baggy, loose-fitting clothing because I didn't like my body but today, I vowed to be different. I pulled on the tight striped tank top, a blue jean skirt, and a black jean jacket. They seemed weird and unique on their own, but altogether the look seemed eclectic and fun. I added some gold hoop earrings and a necklace and looked at myself in the mirror.

It'll do.

I made a mental note to thank Charlotte again and for the rest of my life for all the clothes and jewelry she had purchased to add to my small collection.

The second the fist had pounded on my bedroom door, I pulled it open fully ready and slipped out into the hall in front of an open-mouthed Damon.

"Ready." I said sweetly as he realized he didn't have to wake me up today.

He shrugged and followed me downstairs and into the kitchen. True to Charlotte's word, no stack of pancakes was waiting today, so I grabbed a bowl of cereal and started eating.

Brooks shrugged into the room and sat beside me, and we all ate together in companionable silence until Caleb arrived.

"Time to go!" Damon announced, checking the time on his phone.

"But I didn't get breakfast!" Caleb pouted.

Brooks smirked. "By the look of your hair, you spent at least twenty minutes on it. It's your own fault." He ran his hand through Caleb's hair, ruffling it up, and Damon did the same as we all walked past him.

"Sorry!" I mouthed, as he tried to fix his now-unkempt appearance.

We all got in and took off to school, eventually parking in the same spot as yesterday.

Brooks opened the door for me as I got out of the car and stepped into the hesitant sun.

"Maya!" I heard someone call my name as the sea of students swarmed towards the gate. I looked at the boys who were standing beside me and glanced around in confusion with them. It wasn't like I knew anyone at school really. So... who was calling me?

And there, out of the crowd, the boy with the tousled hair and spotless attire stepped forward.

My jaw almost dropped, and the boys stood speechless beside me as he raced towards us.

"Do you know him?" Caleb asked as if I should.

"Not really." I admitted out of the corner of my mouth. "He ran over me on the way to class- I never even caught his name."

"Asher Kelly." Brooks and Damon said at the same time as they stepped in front of me and crossed their arms. Caleb nudged his way in too, so I couldn't see Asher by the time he reached us.

"Anders," Asher replied. "And who is this behind you?" His voice was no longer warm, his eyes no longer soft. The grey, though the same shade as yesterday, seemed closer to charcoal when he tightened them in my direction. It was as if the clouds had filled with rain.

"She's our sister," Caleb answered. "Why do you ask?" I smiled at him and his expression softened as he shot me a smile back.

"Dad wants her down at the station. I was told to bring her." He said this with an air of authority, and then held out a note to Damon. He snatched it angrily from his grasp and then passed it to Brooks, who bit his lip as if he didn't quite believe it. The note was apparently from the school, approving this action.