Chapter twenty two: Chocolate Comforts.

"What if they abandoned us?!" 

You were in a predicament as the little girl cried into your chest. Blake sat idly by, eyebrows furrowed in aggravation, picking at an ankle scab as his sister wailed.

It had been hours since the pick-up time scheduled for the parents to be here. It was already evening and you were furious, but needed to show you were calm. Your eye twitched but thankfully your long bangs covered it.

Hugging Angela's shaking body close, you smoothed her hair down with a free hand. Her white blond locks stuck to her tear stained face made you chuckle in a motherly way.

She sniffled and let you go.
"Why are you laughing?"

"Ah, sorry no, here." You said, reaching into your back pocket.

You pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed her eyes and face, fixing her hair.

"There she is." You smiled, and she giggled.

"Let's think about this, 'kay?" 

She nodded and sat next her Blake on the end of the porch, her legs swinging back and forth.

"There's nothing to think about, Miss L/n. Our parents finally got rid of us." Blake huffed. Ange brought her legs up and squeezed them tight.

"Don't say that..." You frowned at him. He was so silly most times, but when it came to their parents he was always so pessimistic and negative. Same with the twins and their old mother. It pained your heart to see children take on the weight of their parents bad choices and become so neglected.

You walked over and they let you in-between them; shuffling to the side to give you space. You bought them close, hugging them both with each arm. They rested their little heads onto your shoulders.

"Well how about this," You said gently. "if they don't show up soon, we'll call the police."

"The police?!" Blake broke free from your grasp and whirled around to face you.

"You can't do that!" He shouted, and to your surprise Angela nodded in agreement. 

"He's right!" 

They hopped off the pouch and stood in front of you, hands grabbing your knees in a panic.

You were startled, eyes wide.
"W-what's wrong?" 

"Umm?!" Angela gestured to the forest and then to you.

"Exactly." Blake nodded, pointer finger on his chin in thought.

"I'm lost." You laughed nervously at the freaked out siblings.

"Miss! Your boyfriend is the Jason!"
"You're dating a murderer, man!"

They cried in union.

You blushed at Ange's choice of words; "boyfriend", but you shook it off.

"Well, I'm sure they won't be able to stop him anyway." You smiled wearily and hauled yourself to your feet.

"You sure?" Blake questioned your carefree manner, though you were worried.

"He can handle himself." You grinned, stroking his cheek once with the side of your finger.

"So!"
You clapped your hands together loudly to bring them back.

"Who wants hot chocolate while we wait?"

"Me!"
They said together again.

"Stop copying me!" Blake growled.
Angela elbowed him, and frowned. "You copied me first!" 

Their arguing soon subsided when you reached the kitchen.

"Go ahead and wait on the patio, I'll bring it out." You beamed while fetching the milk from the fridge.

"Ok!"
Running out, you heard them shouting and talking back and forth. You knew arguing kept them close, in a weird way. 

You filled a pot with milk and turned on the stove, setting it down on the slow heating element. Measuring the right amount of cocoa powder and sugar and tapping it inside, you next grabbed mugs and a wooden spoon to stir it.

"Hmm.. how about-?" You thought to yourself, lost in your cooking.

Pulling out an electric beater and bowl, you then poured in heavy whipping cream into the bowl. You were glad Jason turned the electricity back on. Adding a dash of sugar, you were ready.