Chapter twenty nine: Angela (2)

[A/N: Still sensitive stuff for the sensitive lovelies]

Arriving at the game room, Angela folded her arms and plopped down into the couch.

Jason followed suit, joining her on the sofa. Him being the big man he was, the cushions dipped under his weight as he lowered himself down. He kept his machete on his right side, so he chose to keep Ange on his left for her safety. He didn't want her to accidentally cut herself. Though she wasn't his, he already became attached to the strong headed children who entered his life. Just thinking about them having to leave so soon made him frown. He didn't like it. 

His gaze slid down to the little girl next to him. Her facial expression startled him. She wasn't grinning playfully like she usually was, and her eyes seemed so sad. Staring out into nothing in particular, he could tell she was lost in thought. She seemed so different when she wasn't around her brother. So empty and robotic. Children were supposed to be carefree and happy, so why did these two look so mature and aged. It was unsettling to Jason.

"Comfort her Jason, dear. She needs a friend right now." 

Agreeing with his Mother's echoing words in his head, but not wanting to scare the girl, he tried to think of a way to cheer her up. Or in the very least, smile.

After a while of racking his brain, an idea finally popped into his head, causing him to stand up abruptly. But this unexpected action had Angela wobbling over at the sudden evened seating. Having to unfold her arms to not fall on her side, she steadied herself.

"What's wrong?" She started, but he held up a hand.

Gesturing her to stay, she nodded in confusion, but thought it best not to argue with him. I mean, come on.

"What a weirdo." She hummed to herself, watching the burly man charge to goodness knows where.

Leaning back on the now empty seat, she gripped the upholstery near her thighs, anxiously like it was a stress ball. 

"He better return soon." She grumbled, eyeing the direction Jason vanished off to before shutting her eyes. "I hate being alone."

"Well they never show up again anyway. Just like that one day.."

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

"Angela's thoughts: The lonely days with me and my weirdo brother."

That's way too dramatic Ange." Blake said, observing his sisters diary entry. "And I'm not weird, you little brat."

"Shut up you are, and also nobody is going to read it but me, so who cares right?"

When he didn't answer she looked up from her desk with a glare.

"Right?" She repeated firmly.

Backing away from her desk he held his hands up in defense.

"Right, right fine."

Satisfied with that answer she turned back to her array of pens and pencils, decorating the first page of her new diary.

Blake had given it to her for her birthday, because as much as he loved her, he was sick of hearing about her weird thoughts and kid gossip from class. He thought she needed a new "friend" to talk to. And that friend was a beat up pink notebook he'd found in a discount bin. He said he paid for it, but she still was skeptical. But no matter, she was thrilled to "talk" to something that didn't give snarky comments back, or just straight up didn't listen.

Coming up behind her again with a single carrot in hand, he ate noisily by her ear.
"Your spelling is so bad." 

"Ugh! Go away!" 

Pushing him away, she covered her sloppy words with her arms to hide what she wrote.

"Fine, but don't forget dinner is soon." He relented, smirking in victory. 

"Okay already! Leave!!" She yelled as he laughed, walking to the kitchen.

Though reaching the doorway he turned serious, lowering his voice.
"Mom gets home soon, so hurry up."

Sitting back up, she also dropped her volume, as if her voice caught in her throat.
"O-okay."