Chapter thirty: Afterwards and Goodbye.

You weren't sure what to say. It wasn't like hearing a heart shattering story was supposed to clear the heavy air, but it certainly didn't feel like any weight was lifting from the small child. He just seemed more bitter than before. You knew he was acting tough, but he shouldn't have to. Holding back tears this young? Like heck you'd let this happen.

Standing up wordlessly, you hurried to Blake's side and pulled him into your arms. His side gently sunk your chest.

"What are you-?" He started, but you ignored him.

"I'm not looking. You don't have to pretend." You whispered, holding him close. He was shaking slightly.

You paused. "I'm here."

Not even getting words out, he started to cry. It started off slow but he soon slipped into a full on sob fest. 

"How long have you been bottling this in?"

Turning to face you, he clung onto your waist as you rubbed his back and head. Rhythmic patting and head petting seemed to last forever. You didn't mind in the slightest.

When he finally calmed down, he drew back with a sniffle. But unfortunately there wasn't enough room left in his nose for it, because a long strand of snot bridged against your shirt and his face.

You both stared with bugged eyes at the strand then each other, before bursting into laughter.

"Ew!" You teased, using your sleeve to wipe his face.

"Sowwy!" He said muffled, face scrunched from your vigorous face rubbing.

You smiled, then moved, getting a paper towel from near the sink after washing your hands and wiping your shirt.

Handing one piece to him, his took it and blew his nose loudly. 

"Do you feel better?" Asking timidly, you didn't want him to feel like a burden.

"Yeah, thanks." He nodded with his face in the wad of paper.

"Crying isn't a weakness you know. It's not good to keep it in. Being sad is okay, just make sure you're not sad all the time or you might need help from an adult."

He snorted and disposed of the dirty towel.

"Yeah, well I gotta be strong for Angela." He froze. "Wait! Where'd they go?"

Checking the clock, it read "11:30am."

"Oh dear, we better go get them!"

Grabbing Blake's hand, you both rushed to the main cabin.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"-ake up Ange. We gotta get ready."

"..Hmm?"

"WAKE UP!"

"Wah!-"

With a thud, Angela was met with a concerned pair of eyes and a mocking one staring down at her.

"Jeez Blake, give me a concussion why don't cha."

Rubbing her head, you helped the poor girl up from the ground.

"That wasn't very nice Blake." You gave him the "disappointed teacher look" and his smiled slipped off his face. Angela smirked victoriously. 

"Sorry." He mumbled, not meeting your gaze.

"Yeah, that wasn't nice Blakey~" 

Rubbing Blake's head, she taunted him.
Smacking her hand away he started to yell.

"I swear one day I'm going to-!"

"That's enough." 

Stepping in between them, you shook your head, hiding your delighted expression.

"Siblings. They act mean when together but all sappy when apart."   

They went back to sticking tongues out at each other, so you ignored them and began to tidy up the room. Picking up the blanket that was on Angela to fold, a teddy bear fell out from inside it.

"Oh!" 

Crouching to grab it, you studied it. It was very worn, with many stitches and mending from years of being sewed back together. Touching the delicate stitching, you ran your finger over the flawless handiwork. You held it up for the kids to see.