Chapter 24

Ye Hua woke up to a face he least wanted to see, The Medicine King, Shen Nong 神农. They said he helped pave the way for agriculture and was also a skilled physician in the mortal realm. He tasted hundreds of plants before dying. His findings and sacrifices help the mortals to differentiate between medicine and poison. When he passed away, the heavens decided to make him the lord of medicine. He had been working as a physician in the Heavenly Palace ever since.  

Right now, Ye Hua felt like he had tasted hundreds of poisons himself. The cut across his chest was unbearable. The Mermaid Lord's blade was one not be trifled with. 

Seeing the Medicine King right now could only mean one thing. His plan had failed, he had risked his life to the brink of death for nothing. He looked at his surroundings, only to find himself in his quarters in the Chang Sea. 

He hastily tried to get up, only to have his uncle to push him back down to bed. Lian Song dismissed the Medicine King for some privacy. 

Before the battle, Ye Hua confessed to Lian Song about Su Su, her transformation, her pregnancy. Ye Hua wanted to fake his death so that he could drop all his responsibility and hide Su Su away from the world. 

The plan blew up in his face, literally. Ye Hua tried to recollect what happened in the battle. The Soul Slayer had pierced through his armor, pressing dangerous close to his lungs. Ye Hua could feel his own soul being absorbed into the blade. His essence being dissolved into nothingness. 

Suddenly, it stopped. A weight pressed against his chest, sealing his soul back to his body like an anchor. A blurred image of a fox. Ye Hua's vision staggered, for a moment the fox looked like it had nine tails. And then the world faded away. 

Ye Hua grasped his uncle's arms. "What happened, Uncle?" He gasped for breath, "Why am I here? Where's Su Su, " 

Ye Hua struggled to get up, his uncle gripped his shoulders tightly, "Ye Hua, listen to me. The cut went too deep, you're going to die. I had no choice." 

"What about Su Su, " he asked, "Where is she? Why I can't sense her in the Peach Forest?" 

"About that…" His uncle grimaced, " When you collapsed, a white fox appeared out of nowhere, " 

He described how the fox dropped down right on top of him, sending an energy blast that knocked out everyone in a five-yard radius. She bit down the Mermaid Lord's neck killing him instantly. Lian Song had never seen anything like it. 

After that, the fox wouldn't let anyone go near Ye Hua. Baring its teeth and attacking anyone who tried. It took a lot of persuasion from Die Feng to the fox to let them take him to the medic.

"Where the fox right now?" He begged, "I need to see her, " 

"Consort Su Jin ordered its immediate capture, " he said. 

Su Jin… Ye Hua clenched his fist. Su Su could be dead under her hands for all he knew.

 "But Die Feng step up and took it in, " Lian Song assured him. With that information, Ye Hua relaxed a bit. The sea prince would take good care of her.

*Speak of Cao Cao and Cao Cao arrives (Speak of the devil),  his star-lord Tian Shu made the announcement of the arrival of the Western Sea Prince. Ye Hua gave the approval for entry.

Die Feng entered the room, cradling the fox in his arms. Ye Hua saw Su Jin behind him trying to enter with the prince. Thankfully, Tian Shu blocked her from entering and closed the door. Which reminded Ye Hua that his star-lord was due for a raise. 

The minute the fox saw Ye Hua, it leaped out of Die Feng's arms and jumped into his lap. Ye Hua wrapped his arms around his wife. Her soft fur pressed close against his skin. Her steady heartbeat matched his. He had almost lost her and that thought almost shattered him. The fox's inky black eyes looked up at him and she gave him a lick against his cheek. Ye Hua took it as she was glad to see him too.