Chapter 30

Yan Zhi pulled against her chains, she had tried to break the chains with her sword but it had no effect. The chain was imbued with powerful celestial magic. It would take celestial magic to break it. At least the chains were long enough for her to move freely. 

Yan Zhi cursed as she swiped the monster's blood off her dress. She just cleaned those, it would be impossible to wash off the stain. She kicked the carcass of the monster. Weak. Couldn't even last ten minutes with her.

Yan Zhi couldn't get her hopes up who knew how many monsters were still lurking beneath the shadow just waiting for their chance to attack.

How long had Yan Zhi been here? A day or two? A week or a month? She couldn't tell. She couldn't tell without the sunlight. Honestly, she couldn't tell at all in the Nine Heavens. Why didn't the sunset in the Celestial realm? Yan Zhi almost got midnight sun madness at first because of it.

Yan Zhi hated being in the Celestial heavens. The constraint, the humiliation, the oppression. Dear heavens, why can't Ye Hua and Su Su elope why they had the chance. 

Yan Zhi was starting to understand why her father rebelled in the first place. But Yan Zhi couldn't afford to fall into her father's mindset. He had taken himself too far, threatening to burn down the world won't solve the problem. 

There are still other celestials out there who weren't that stick in the mud. For example, Ye Hua who showed a softer side around Su Su, and generally a rational, intelligent young man. He could have turned out a lot worse based on his upbringing. And his third uncle who was fun to be around. 

Yan Zhi thought of Zi Lan who was noble and true. He wasn't ashamed to apologize when he made a mistake. Selfless and caring for others. Su Su was lucky to have a brotherly senior like him.

Yan Zhi blinked and straightened herself. This is not the time to think about her confusing feelings for a guy right now. She had to find a way to get out of here.

And yet Yan Zhi couldn't help but think about the future. If she was the ghost queen instead of her brother. How she was going to use her friendship with Ye Hua to build a better alliance with the celestial realm. One that was based on mutual respect and admiration. Would her people be less oppressed and more respected? Just because their way of magic was different doesn't mean that they have to be on each other's throats. 

Yan Zhi found a rock to sharpen her blade. The next monster would be arriving soon. Yan Zhi realized the monsters residing in this pagoda came out one by one from different sections of the building. Each more ferocious than the last. Yan Zhi didn't know how long it's gonna take for her to kill all the monsters here. Or if killing all of them will eventually get her out. But she wasn't willing to be some monster's lunch. 

Yan Zhi examined her surroundings again. Her father had always taught her that understanding her surroundings was the key to winning every battle. That and using deception by targeting weakness. What a role model.

That's when Yan Zhi saw it, the small tiny crack on one of the pillars. Then she noticed the strain on the building from holding monsters for millennials. The foundation of this building was starting to crumble. An idea formed inside of her head. It was risky but it could be her way out of here.

Yan Zhi heard the sound of a rumbling monster again, this time she smirked.

_______________________________

"I heard what happened to your fox, " the heavenly lord said to Ye Hua in one of their weekly chess games, "You really believe that Su Jin did it? " 

Ye Hua gripped his teacup until it almost cracked. He fought the urge to splash his scalding hot tea on his grandfather's face. They both know who was the real culprit here.