Chapter 28

The meeting went on and on for quite some time. Just when one topic was wrapped up and everyone was ready to move on, the heavenly lord brought up another subject again. 

Do they really have to talk about how the yellow river should be flooded? It's a flood, a natural disaster, there's no controlling it. The mortals were even used to it by now. Even the Lord of the Yellow River looked exasperated. 

Ye Hua scanned his eyes across the bureaucracy of heaven. His third uncle was trying really hard not to nod off in a corner. Si Ming and Chen Yu were chattering with each other. Even his father wasn't paying attention. 

Grandfather was doing this on purpose, Ye Hua realized. For someone who was adamant that Ye Hua should never be influenced by a woman. The heavenly lord was surely a shining example. In his determination to keep Ye Hua away from his wife, he was dragging on an otherwise short council meeting. A sudden chill raised up his bones. Clearly, this meeting had gone on long enough.

Ye Hua stepped out of his position, "Your Highness, in my opinion. The river flood should be more concentrated in the farming areas. After the devastation, at least the mortals get to use the silt deposit brought down by the flood for agriculture." 

The heavenly lord nodded, "Very well. On to the next-"

"Your Highness, " Ye Hua interrupted, "I figured that would be enough for today. If this meeting went any longer, we would never have enough time to complete our task. Don't you think?" 

The rest of the council nodded in agreement. Some looked at Ye Hua with gratitude in their eyes. "Very well, dismiss, " The Heavenly Lord finally said.

Ye Hua bowed and began to leave. 

"Ye Hua, " his grandfather said in a stern voice, "Stay back for a while, " 

Ye Hua silently cursed. He turned back to his grandfather, "Is there anything you want to talk about, grandfather?"

"You have been spending an awful lot of time with that woman of yours, " he said.

Ye Hua nodded, "She's incredibly ill, your Highness. I'm just doing my duty as a father, for the good of the child," 

"Of course, " his grandfather said, "That's what a responsible man should do, " 

"If you excuse me, grandfather, " Ye Hua said. 

"There's another thing, " The Heavenly lord added, "Find some time to visit Qing Qiu these days, "

"Qing Qiu?"

"Yes, " his grandfather said, " You have gotten yourself an illegitimate child before you marry a main consort. Not to mention the mother is a common fox. They would think this would be a repeat of the previous engagement. You need to go there to show your sincerity, "

Sincerity? To what? To forego Su Su?
Marry an old crone that no one dared to touch? So that they could consolidate more power? The celestial tribe already reigned the heavens, seas, and the mortal realm. They have the respect of Qing Qiu, the submission of the Demon Realm and the worship of the mortals. What more do they want? 

Has grandfather ever thought of Ye Hua's feelings? That he wanted more than ruling the entire universe? Sure, Ye Hua believed that there's no one who would do a better job than himself. 
But does his grandfather ever realize that if the celestial tribe didn't butt their heads into every external conflict, the world would solve its own problems? 

"Ye Hua, it's for the good of the tribe, " the Heavenly Lord insisted. "I'm securing your future. With Bai Qian by your side, no one will dare to dispute your rule, "