Chapter 29

Ye Hua found Su Su collapsed on the floor. He rushed to her side and immediately told his star-lord to get the Medicine King. What happened? He was gone for a few hours. 

Ye Hua carried and laid her back to bed. He inspected Su Su for injuries. He noticed that her forearms were battered and bruised. Her throat was bright red with nail markings on her skin.

Ye Hua called out for Yan Zhi but she didn't respond. Which was odd, Ye Hua had specifically told Yan Zhi to never leave Su Su alone. She must have a reason for her absence. 

The medicine king arrived and did a quick examination of her. Ye Hua did not like it when he saw the pain expression on the doctor's face.

"What's wrong with her?" Ye Hua demanded.

"I'm afraid that her arms were broken. Her wrists were shattered, " he said.

Shatter? How?

"What else?" He asked again.

The Medicine King examined her neck, "Her lymph nodes were bruised and her esophagus was damaged, " 

"And the child?"

The doctor hovered his hand over her stomach and let out a sigh of relief, "The child is unharmed, "

At least, the baby was safe. Ye Hua looked around the room, scattered furniture, toppled chairs. What had happened here? Who would have done this to a defenseless pregnant woman? Ye Hua swore vengeance, he would make them pay ten times the retribution. 

The Medicine King bandaged and created casts for her arms. "She would need a few months for her hands to heal, but they will never be the same again, "

Impossible. Ye Hua refused to believe so. Millions of years of magic there's bound to be a way to restore her hands. "Please, " he begged the doctor. The Medicine King gave him a pitiful look, "I'll try my best, " 

Ye Hua remained at Su Su's side until she regained consciousness. When she saw him, a terrified look appeared in her eyes. Su Su backed away from him immediately.

Ye Hua gingerly reached out to her, "Su Su, what happened?" 

Su Su couldn't meet him in his eyes. She looked down at her hands, horrified to see casts wrapped around them. She just sat there stunned beyond comprehension. She didn't even acknowledge his presence.

"Su Su, " Ye Hua insisted, "You need to tell me what happened, " 

Tears formed around her eyes, she looked like she wanted to scream but no sound came out of her lips.

"Who did this to you?" He asked again. Su Su just looked at him with dead eyes, she opened her mouth again and yet no sound came out.

That's when Ye Hua realized it. She's mute. Someone had taken her voice. Her beautiful voice that filled his days with laughter. Her sweet voice that was able to turn his dull day upside down. Her voice that he yearned to hear every morning. It's all gone.

He clutched her shoulders, "Su Su, do you know who did this to you?"

Su Su nodded. She gazed towards the study table and then she looked down at her hands like she didn't know what to do with them. A dejected look appeared on her face, she couldn't even write down the perpetrator's name. 

Ye Hua clenched his fist. Whoever did this had thought it through. They had made sure that Su Su wouldn't be able to express herself. That she would never be able to voice her opinion. That she won't be able to utter a single word.

But why? All these while, Su Su had remained modest in the Nine Heavens. She never attracted any attention, never made any scenes. What made them take such drastic measures?