Chapter 1: Thanks a latte

Carly's POV

If the several knocks on my door weren't enough to wake me, Alex's screaming sure as Hell was. From what I knew the moment my eyes fluttered open was that it was summer and that meant I can sleep in until noon. Just to check, I turned towards my alarm clock and noticed that it was still morning.

"What?" I growled as I flung the sheets off my body and rolled off the bed as graceful as possible which means I fell on the floor with a thump.

There was no answer and not a care that I fell off my bed. Just more knocks. I groaned but proceeded to walk up to the door in the dimly lit room and managed to open the door enough to be greeted by not only Alex but Amanda as well.

They stood there in silence as I squinted my eyes to adjust to the light. Surely enough, Alex looked up to me and started the conversation.

"Tanya wants to meet up at Siren's Cup. Get dressed." That was all I got as she grabbed my shoulders and turned me around to get to my closet as Amanda rushed in while closing the door.

Amanda passed by me to only go open up a few drawers and grabbed what I assumed was going to be what I wore that day. She tossed the clothes at me and I walked out of my room with the chatter behind me. I couldn't tell what they were saying due to the fact that I had just woken up and was already having a hard time grasping onto the fact that I was awake.

Quickly enough, I got ready for the day and I managed to pass a brush through the bee's nest that was my hair. The mirror gave back the same reflexion it always did. A pale girl with vampire-like features that included the black hair and the slender figure but my eyes didn't match it at all as they were just topaz. Danny looked different. He looked more like Mom and Dad while I only had Mom's eyes while Danny had her hair colour and Dad's eye colour along with a few other characteristics of theirs. I remember a while back when I would joke that I was adopted but Mom would always laugh it off and tell me that I got my grandfather's cheekbones and such.

Shaking off my thoughts, I walked out of the bathroom and went into my room where Alex and Amanda were discussing their programs that they got accepted into. I ignored them as I went to pick up my phone on the nightstand.

23 new messages

I opened up my phone only to see that it was just Alex, Amanda and Luke that texted me this morning. Spamming me but nonetheless, they were wondering what I was doing. I internally groaned as I thought that they'd know by now that I would be sleeping as they have been friends with me for over 3 years now. They should know this stuff.

"Hey, ready to go now?" Amanda asked as she leaned on the wall near the door.

"Yeah. Just gotta grab my-"

I was cut off by Alex throwing my bag at me and Amanda giggling right after. Alex simply smirked at my face of pure defeat.

"I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS" I gasped dramatically as she soon pushed me once again towards the door.

"Well, friend, you need to be quicker."

Amanda followed behind us as Alex continued to guide me down the stairs to the main room where Mom stood behind the kitchen counter as Danny played on his DS in the living room. I gave her a look of "Help me!" but she simply laughed.

"Have a great day, girls!"

I gave her the same look that I gave Alex a few minutes ago as I was being brought out the door. Alex simply laughed with Amanda as they said their goodbyes to my mother. They continued to bring me away from the comfort of my own bed only to bring me to Siren's Cup. As much as I hated leaving my bed, I didn't mind it as much if coffee was involved.

Soon enough, the smell of coffee beans filled my nose as we walked into the café. It was like your typical local café. It had the dark tables, the comfy chairs around said tables, a nice view of the street and lamp posts, some bean bag chairs in one corner where the vinyls are being played, a darker colour on the walls and some fairy lights at the counters where they have the machines and stuff to make the coffee. They always have a display of the latest treats from the bakery across town on the counter along with some of their own in-house specials. The owner of the place is Tanya's mom and it shows that they worked together to create the environment of the café. It was a nice and comfy atmosphere where someone could enjoy a coffee and calming morning. I was about to have the exact opposite of that kind of life here. It was not calm. I was brought here against my desires but I was at least going to enjoy a coffee.

As my thoughts ran around what kind of latte I wanted, Tanya came out to greet us as we waited in line to order. Amanda gave her a big hug and Alex turned me around so I would see her as I wasn't paying attention.

"So, we hired a new worker today," Tanya told us as we approached the counter. "He's decently cute and he's going to the same university as us."

I giggles a bit as Amanda looked ahead to see who it was and Alex lifted a brow and sighed about the commentary.

"It's good that you have a new worker for the summer," Alex said as she pulled out her phone and checked her messages. "Dustin said that he and Luke are almost here."

Just as she finished her sentence, the boys walked in and joined us. They stood behind us in line and flashed a smile.

"What'd we miss?" Luke smiled and looked over to Tanya.

"We were just discussing how Tanya, over here, has a new summer worker," Amanda informed him as she turned back to the conversation.

"Is he decently good-looking?" Luke joked.

"I'd like to say yes," the new worker answered as we stood right in front of the counter.

"YOU!"