Two breakdowns in 24 hours

I barely slept, even tho I really wanted to. Even if I tried counting sheep, it just wouldn't let me sleep.
It was a few minutes past midnight, the moon was high in the sky above the base and Nightmare was asleep, his arm wrapped around my hip. He held me close as he mumbled some stuff in his sleep, cuddling me now and then. He seemed pretty scared of something and he clung to me desperately. I quietly sighed and sat up, turning around to him. "Nighty? Hey, wake up!", I whisper-yelled, shaking his shoulder carefully. He turned on his other side, releasing me. With a low whimper he curled up, twitching a few times. A bit confused I sat on top of him, holding his shoulders tightly. Then I just started to shake him. "Wake up!", I growled, shaking him violently.
Nightmare shot up with a loud yell, trembling and panting like crazy. His eyes were widened and he was bathed in cold sweat. His sudden awakening startled me and I jumped back a little bit, slightly shocked. "Finally! You're awake!", I almost yelled, trying to get my heart to beat correctly again. Nightmare seemed fazed, only staring at the blankets. I took a deep breath and slowly touched his shoulder. His breathing has calmed down a bit and now he swallowed hard. Then he suddenly hugged me tightly, gripping my shirt frantically, obviously afraid that I could leave again. I hugged him as well, rubbing over his back and whispering calming words into his ear as he started to sob into my shoulder. A bit sad now I stroke through his soft hair, looking away from him in pain. I couldn't bear see anyone cry, but if Nightmare is the one crying, I felt like I was the reason for it.
Nightmare took a few shaky breaths before releasing me and sitting up. I smiled a little bit and dried his tears with my long sleeves, looking deeply into his eyes. "Everything is alright. I'm here, Nighty, and I won't leave.", I whispered with a soft voice. Nightmare hesitated, his eyes still filled with fear and worry. But eventually he made himself smile shyly, nodding. "Thank you, Hero.", he replied, his voice weak and tired, but no fear was in it. I blinked slowly, then I took his hand and gently laid down with him. Nightmare let it happen and I wrapped us both into the blanket, letting him hug me again. I held him close as he put his head on my chest, listening to my heartbeat. Nightmare took a deep breath and patted on my belly in the rhythm of my heart. It was slow and calm, beating in an even rhythm. I chuckled and stroke over his head, wrapping his black and brown hair around my index finger a few times.
If you ask why I don't let him explain what he dreamed... I don't want to make him cry again. And now he's somewhat calm. Disturbing the peace would mean that he can't sleep at all tonight, and I really don't want him to stay awake tonight.
"How comes it that you're able to calm me down so easily?", Nightmare asked, stopping the patting on my belly. I sighed deeply, unable to respond. A few moments after just staring at the ceiling I replied: "I don't know. I just seem to be able to do that better than anyone else." Nightmare smiled, then he put his arms around my body. We stayed silent for a long time, then I took a deep breath, closing my eyes. I felt Nightmare lift his head up from my chest and gently kiss me.
"Good night, Hero."
"Good night, Nightmare."
He laid down next to me, hugging me and putting the blanket over our shoulders. I hugged him as well, starting to doze off almost immediately, yet trying to stay awake until Nighty was asleep. Said man closed his eyes as well, falling asleep within seconds. I smiled a little bit as I noticed it and finally gave in to the tiredness. Everything went black as I drifted off into sleep, my body trying to regenerate from the wounds and the pain I was in.

(Timeskipzzzzzz till norningzzzzzzz)
(Nightmares' FoV)
Hero moved under my arms, curling up a little bit. He was still asleep, and he purred softly. I chuckled and pulled him a little bit closer, smiling. I was already awake since a few minutes due to Hero removing his head from my chest. And now, I just held him close, waiting until he is awake without actually waking him up. Hero seemed so peaceful now and extremely adorable.
It didn't take long until he shifted and yawned loudly. He turned a bit around, opening his eyes. It took him a few moments to notice that I was awake, looking at him. Then he started to smile tiredly. "Morning, Nightmare.", he mumbled. I smiled and stroke the dark brown hair from his face to the side. "Good morning, Hero." Hero took a deep breath and turned around completely, hugging me gently. He placed his head on my shoulder and closed his eyes again, yet I gently shrugged, causing him to open his eyes. "Stay still, I want to sleep.", he mumbled sleepily and tried to sleep. But I sat up with a grin, and now he actually groaned loudly. "Oh, come on! Why don't you just let me sleep?", he asked. "Because in love and war everything is allowed.", I replied and picked him up, walking out of the room into the kitchen. Steve and the others were already there, all still in their pyjamas. They were having breakfast and drinking coffee. Steve looked at us as we entered the room and I put Hero down on the floor so he could walk himself. Hero held my hand as we went to the table, sitting down next to each other. Violette was standing at the oven, cooking some food and putting it on plates which she took and brought over to us. I thanked her, as well as Hero did, then I grabbed the fork and started to eat the pasta she made.
A few minutes later I suddenly noticed that Hero didn't eat anything. He just sat there, staring blankly at the plate. His eyes were empty and he didn't move at all, seemingly sad all of the sudden.
I put the fork down and touched his shoulder,  causing him to wince. Everyone looked at us, slightly confused. A bit worried I leaned in front of him, looking into his face. Tears were sparkling in his eyes and he swallowed hard. I was really worried now and whispered: "Hero what's wrong?" Hero looked up at me before suddenly standing up and grabbing my hand, leading me outside the room. He took a shaky breath before hugging me tightly, sobbing into my shoulder. I flinched and immediately stiffened, but calmed down and hugged him as well. Hero cried quietly, holding me tightly. He collapsed onto me, falling to his knees. I caught him tho and sat down together with him, holding his slender body between my arms. "Hero, what's wrong?", I asked worriedly.
Said man started to sob even heavier. "I-I-I don't want to lose you! The h-hug you gave m-me b-before made m-me think about t-the war we're i-in and-and-", he sobbed, but I cut him off by gently pulling him a bit away from me and kissing him on the lips. Hero was still crying, but he melted under my kiss. He closed his eyes subconsciously and calmed down a little bit.
I gently released him, looking into his eyes. He slowly opened his usually white ones, but now they were a dull grey. "Hero, you don't need to be scared about me. I won't be going into war so soon, and neither will you. We are only there in the very last fight, so we still have some time. And even if, I won't be in the first line. So I have a lower chance of dying.", I calmed him down, softly nibbling on his ear. Hero still sobbed a little bit, but he was calmer now. "A-Are you sure?", he asked quietly. I nodded and looked into his eyes. Hero looked down, looking like a pile of misery now. I gently smiled and removed his tears with my long sleeve like he did in the night. Hero looked up a little bit, his breathing calm now. "I'm still scared about you, Nightmare. I don't want to lose you again.", he whispered sadly. I hugged him again, grinning. "You won't lose me, Hero. I promise." I could feel Hero smile a little bit, then grip my shirt a tighter.
After almost ten minutes he released me, smiling. I smiled back and rubbed over his shoulders  Together we stood up and went back into the kitchen, and now Hero actually ate something.

Still, I desperately hope I can be able to keep my promise.

_______________
1523 words.