chapter one

w h a t the duck is a prologue.

(Also I didn't know that I'd have to make this comment, since incest is so "normalized" amongst the people who have dared comment. This book is not anything related to incest. It's awfully weird that you guys assume such stuff as to not reading the book all the way. The relationship held between y/n and ushijima is such a relationship i have with my younger sisters, as i am their older brother.

Don't project the differences in relationships amongst your sisterly and brotherly bonds onto this book nor in the comments. It makes me slightly uncomfortable when you comment "uhm my relationship isn't like this 😳.." "...what is this???? brotherly love???". I know it's a joke, I understand that you guys have differences, but i see every comment. )
——————————————

It was a Tuesday morning, the sun radiated off of the plants as it shot through the screen door. The room it's self was quite clean, all except for the school papers that were sprawled out across a desk, and a few clothes here and there.

I laid sleepily in my bed, my hair knotted into a mess. I had gone to sleep late last night, as I was up studying. I needed extra help in my classes, I was currently getting all the help I could get, tutoring, help from my friends...more tutoring. A soft knock was heard from my door, it then opening. In poked my older brothers head, or as I like to call him ushi-kun. "...you must get up."

I blinked my eyes open and rubbed them a bit. "Hey don't rub your eyes, it's not good for them." Ushi said. I nodded tiredly. "I'll be waiting down stairs for you, make sure to get your gym bag, okay?" He asked softly. I nodded once again and yawned. He gave me an approving nod and shut my door.

Every morning, me and ushi would take a run, then head to school. It was routine. He knows I wouldn't get up on my own so he always goes through the trouble to wake me up...not that I'm that hard to get up anyways.
——————————————

I walked downstairs in my track suit, my hair up. I carried both of my bags down the stairs and sat them against the wall. I sniffed the air, and poked my head into the kitchen. Ushi was making breakfast, along with both of our lunches.

He glanced back at me out of the corner of his eye. "Nano, you start practice today, don't you?" Ushi asked. I walked over and waited for him to finish fixing my lunch. I nodded. "Are you ready to start?" He asked concerned. He boxed up my lunch, then wrapping it in a baby blue cloth. I shook my head no. He looked down at me and handed over my lunch. "Don't worry about it, if you have any trouble, you are always welcome to go over to the boys practice and find me." He said and patted my head. I gave him a small smile, signifying that I understood him, and he smiled back.
———————————————

It was so cold that you could see my breath as I exhaled. I jogged beside ushi as I clung onto the straps of my bags.

My brother and me lived by ourselves. Of course we did, it's so common, and blah blah blah....we mainly live by ourselves because our parents worked a lot. It had gotten to a point to where I didn't even see them, so Ushi moved out on his own, he hated being around them, he couldn't stand the fact that he had to keep up with a place that wasn't his nor having to deal with their arguing. Then, about a month later, after he was settled in his new home, he invited me to live with him. I quickly took his offer as I didn't like being home alone as often as I used to. As soon as I got to his new house, he made sure to make me feel right at home, giving me my own room and allowing me to go about freely. He even went back to our parents house and got the rest of my things.

We reached the school and jogged all the way to the gym. It was quite windy, which cooled me down a lot faster. I set my bags down and grabbed my towel, wiping my face of sweat. Ushi sat down on a bench and breathed out. It was silent for a good moment before he decided to speak. "I don't know why, but I'm actually worried about you starting practice today." He spoke as he took out his towel. "Even though I know that you'll do great, it still bothers me a little." Ushi said, he wiped his face. "I'll have to admit, you are pretty strong when it comes to volleyball." I stared down at him, in a bit of disbelief.

He never really complimented me on anything. But whenever ushi did compliment me, I knew it was genuine, because he always had this look of determination on his face while he said it. It's something you could tell was from the heart, and he meant it.

"You're only a second year but you have a lot of will power, and that comes great respect with what you have." He said. "But still..." he paused and looked down at his hands. "...I'm mainly worried about how you will do with big crowds." Ushi gave me a look of concern. His eyes hinted that he was genuinely worried about how I would do. "I know how bad your social anxiety gets, especially around new people." He mentioned. I looked down at my towel and played with it.

I was never really good at showing my emotions, unlike me, ushi was always good at showing his gratitude towards me and a few others. I never really understood how I was suppose to, the only thing I knew what to do was give others a smile.

I stared at him for a second, before giving him a small smile, i then patted his head. He gave me a genuine smile and put his towel away. "Well kiddo....first period is about to start, so I suggest you get going." Ushi said and zipped up his bag. I nodded and picked up my bags, throwing them over my shoulder. I gave him a side hug. "I'll see you at lunch y/n." He said. I nodded as he kissed my forehead, he then bid me a goodbye, and left me in the empty gym.
———————————————
I hoped you enjoyed ^w^

Word count: 1030