Knocking On Heaven's Door

Summary: Set in S3 somewhere after the battle. What if Cordelia never left like she said she would? What if she found comfort with the bar and a Margarita, and meets an enemy on the streets that she needs her ass saved from? Who will save her? Will someone find her before it's too late, or will the angry and sad Drama Queen be killed?

It was a dark night, as Cordelia Chase sat at the bar drinking a Margarita. She was hurt, crushed, mentally wounded, and wanted to leave this town. She didn't leave, though. She didn't know why. All she knew was that Xander and Willow's kiss had hurt her. She didn't know why, but she found herself mentally wishing that she had died in the battle. It would serve them right. Make them feel more guilty. Plus, she always wanted to go out with a big bang. Die fighting the monsters little kids feared.

She finished her third Margarita, paid Willy with a twenty, and then staggered out into the dark night. It was a cold night. It was one of those nights where she wished she had brought a jacket or sweater with her.

Meanwhile, the Scoobies were watching everyone party at the Bronze. Willow and Oz had gotten back together, but Oz was with Giles at the scene. Buffy stared out at the partiers blankly, remembering Angel walking away after the battle. Willow watched them dance in a somewhat good mood. Xander stared into the distance for about thirty minutes, until he came back to the present.

He knew what he had to do. He had to get her back.

"I think I'm going to call it a night. See you girls later," he said, standing up and walking off.

"Okay," Willow replied.

"Later," Buffy replied meekly to him.

Cordelia Chase was by a jewelry store, staggering, on her way home. That's when it happened. She was pulled into an alley. She knew it was a vampire.

"Pretty one."

"Hardly," she said.

"Wasted, too. I like that."

"Don't they all."

He vamped out. With a swift motion, he jerked her head to the side to expose her neck. Then he bit. She tried to kick him like she normally did to vamps, but it didn't work. With a last resort, she screamed just loud enough so someone could hopefully hear her. And someone did. Her vision was turning tunnel-like, but she could still hear.

"Cordy!" he yelled.

She would always know that voice. It amazed her. Even after what he had done, he was willing to risk his life for hers.

The vampire stopped and let her go.

She fell to the pavement and rolled onto her back.

She closed her eyes to rest.

As soon as the vampire let go, looking at him, Xander put out a cross.

"Back off."

It stepped away from the cross, backing away.

When he was close enough, Xander staked it.

He ran to and knelt by her.

He pulled her into his arms.

"Cordy, can you hear me?"