Heartbroken

Summary: Set in S6 of Angel and S7 of Buffy. Cordy never went into a coma. Buffy was never brought back to life. What if Xander had died in the Last Battle, instead of Anya? What would happen to Cordelia? How would she cope? What would she do? What if Sunnydale was never destroyed?

A/N: Tara never died. Willow never turned evil. Willow never fell in love with Kennedy. Doyle never died, and the others never came along. Episodes, like "Seeing Red" never happened.

It was a beautiful day. Cordelia Chase and Harmony Kendall were at their desks. The blond vampiress was at her computer, while her brunette BFF was filing papers away. That's when the phone rang.

The brunette answered it.

"Angel Investigations. We help the helpless. This is Cordelia. How may I help you?"

"Cordelia, something happened."

"What is it, Willow?"

"There was a battle against The First Evil's army. We were able to kill Caleb, but there was a big battle against some creatures."

"Yeah, I heard about the battle. Angel went to help kill Caleb. Is everybody okay? Did anyone die?"

"Y-yeah."

The witch sounded like she was holding back tears.

"Who died?"

"Xander."

"Oh, God no."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm coming home. Now."

"I'll see you, Cordelia."

They hung up.

She sighed.

Xander was dead. Gone from the world. It couldn't be. It didn't seem real or possible. Her ex couldn't be dead. Not like this.

The blond looked over at her, having heard the conversation.

"Are you alright?"

"Harm, tell Angel that I'm signing off. Doyle or you can take my place. I'm going back. They need me. I can't be here when Sunnydale needs me."

"I'll tell him."

"Thanks, Harm."

Harmony watched as her BFF grabbed her jacket and walked out. She could sense her grief, as she watched her leave. She completely understood. It was Xander. She would always love him. It had always gone both ways.

It was a beautiful afternoon, as the Drama Queen drove the convertible down the highway. It was filled with what stuff of hers would fit. As she drove, she let tears fall freely down her cheeks. Her heart was broken. She was shattered in a zillion pieces.

It was a dismal night when she arrived in Sunnydale, her face streaked with dried up tears. It was night, but yet she didn't see anyone. No vampires. No humans. No demons. Just abandoned vehicles and cracked ground.

Ten minutes later, she parked in front of Anya and Xander's apartment. The one Xander had bought for Anya and himself. It had been for her. She had wanted it and he had gotten it.

She got out and walked up the sidewalk, heading towards their apartment.

Twenty minutes later, she stood at the door and knocked. She crossed her arms and looked down, letting more tears fall silently. A sob broke loose.

Anya Jenkins opened the door to see a very upset Drama Queen. She stepped aside and the brunette walked in. Anya closed the door behind the former Cordette.

"I'm sorry," Cordy said, looking around at everyone.

She sighed.

"Is it over? Did they all get killed?"

"We did. We got them all," Faith answered her.

"Good."

She walked up to Willow whom was being comforted by her girlfriend.

"I'm sorry, Wills. I know how hard it is. First Buffy. Now Xander."

"I know."

The former Cordette leader walked up to Dawn and Spike.

"Dawn, I'm sorry I wasn't there. If it were up to me, I'd trade places with them. But I couldn't come. There were things happening one after another. I'd do anything myself to get them back."

They hugged.

As Cordy hugged her back and let her cry into her shoulder, she looked at Spike.

"I'm glad you're here, Spike. I can't believe I just said that, but it's true."

She looked at the only existing Slayer.

"You, too."

"Glad you could have some gratitude for me, luv," Spike replied.

"Are we on good terms, then?" Faith asked the former Queen C.

"Yeah. We are. I forgive you. I'm willing to forget what we both said about each other."

She kissed Dawn's forehead.

Dawn looked at her.

"Honey, I'm going to check on Anya. You stay here with Spike."

Dawn nodded at the former Queen of Sunnydale High.

Cordy walked up to the closed bedroom door.

"Anya?"

She opened the door and walked in, shutting it behind herself.

She saw her lying on the bed on her side, just staring into space.

"Anya, I'm sorry. Not that it make it better or anything."

She sat down on her bedside and sighed.

"I know how you must be feeling. I feel the same way. I will always love him."

The blond sat up.

"It's something, y' know? How much the same we are compared to Xander. When it comes to him, it brings us closer. What do we do now? We only have one Slayer left. Then there's Spike. The rest of us are just human. We don't have super powers," Anya said.

"We may not, but we have two witches, a Slayer, and a vampire on our side. We're going to have his funeral and then we're all going to move on. We're going to do what he would want us to do. Move forward. Keep fighting the "good fight." And on our way, we'll take time to mourn as long as we need to."

So that's what they did.

A few days later, they had his funeral and Cordy got her own place. A house not far from the Summers' residence. So everybody lived as happily ever after as they could.