Chapter 8

AALIYAH

When Lefa proposed, I really didn't believe it. 

Even when I woke up the following morning, it still felt like a dream. 

When my dad called me saying he got a letter, I guess reality suddenly struck me. 

I didn't see Lefa as traditional until I saw his family come for Lobola negotiations. 

That was a month after he proposed. 

He gave me three months to plan the wedding which brings me to now. 

I'm getting married, I really am. 

I'm about to walk down the isle and I couldn't be more happier. 

I'm wearing an exquisite  mermaid wedding dress in embroidered tulle and lace. It is  sleeveless and has a low waist. The dress comes with a lining that minimizes the sheer effects of the bodice. It's beautiful and expensive. 

My mom helped me get into my dress and I've been allowed a moment alone. 

I look into the mirror and scream. 

Me: "How the hell did you... (turning) You're... Here"

Joshua: "Hello Aaliyah "

Me: "(Panting) How did you get in here? "

Joshua: "I wouldn't miss you making the biggest mistake of your life "

Me: "(laughs) Really now? "

Joshua: "It's only funny now. You're the type that prefers learning the hard way but don't worry, it's God who's allowing it to happen "

Me: "Look, I'm not my mother. I won't listen to whatever nonsense you're coming with. I'll never be your wife, which is why I'm getting married. Get over it"

Joshua: "(chuckles) I wish you all the... "

Then he disappears, before he can even finish his sentence. 

What just happened? 

Me: "(to my reflection on the mirror) It's all in your mind, it's probably nerves(exhales)"

Dad: "(knocking) Baby, can I come in? "

Me: "Yes, you may "

Dad: "I don't want you to do this. You haven't been together with this guy for even a year "

Me: "(laughs) You're one to talk "

Dad: "It's different with your mom and I. I knew she's the one for me after one night "

Me: "Exactly, so you have nothing to worry about "

Dad: "Just know that our home will always be welcome to you. I really don't have a good feeling about this"

Me: "I thought my happiness is all that matters, or does it not? "

My dad doesn't like Lefa and doesn't hide it. 

At least he gets along with my mom. Lefa isn't bothered though, which is why I'm trying not to be.