Chapter 25

GINA

Me: (nervously stands up) Mrs Rhodes "

Hope: "I wonder why you all forget my title. It's Dr Rhodes (sits down). Did you plan this with your minx sister? "

Me: "We didn't plan anything "

Hope: "(bangs the table, startling me) Don't play dumb with me! Those little bastards could have been my husband's and now you have a son with him ? Why can't you lot find your own man?! "

Me: "I... I'm sorry Ho... I mean Dr Rhodes "

Hope: "(chuckles) Sorry? Sorry? Will that change your son's paternity? Will it reverse the hands of time? I don't think so. You can take your sorry and shove it where the sun doesn't shine! "

I've never been so nervous. I wasn't this nervous on my first job interview.

Hope is very intimidating and considering what I've done, I have more reason to be scared.

The Rhodes are ruthless when it comes to their family.

I'm scared. I'm very scared.

Hope: "Sit down so we can talk, woman to woman( I sit) Good girl "

Me: "Wh... What do you want to talk about? "

Hope: "The child that you have with my husband... You'll grant him full custody in exchange for your life. Trust me little girl, even if you try fighting us which I know you can't afford, you won't win. You're going to resign with immediate effect and because I'm bitter as hell, I'll make sure you never use your accounting degree anywhere else. I'll make sure that the only job you get is limited to being a cashier like that minx you call sister. You'll make sure that your little brat knows Kristen is his father and he'll come stay with us "

Me: "(sobbing)But I... Please Dr Rhodes. He's the only one I have and this job... I'm begging you please "

Hope: "Did you beg me when you fucked my husband raw? Did you perhaps seek my permission? (I keep quiet) You didn't. Now this is your bed, lie on it! "

She walks out leaving me devastated.

The tears vigorously gush out of my eyes while I sink in my seat and dwell on the reality that I'm about to lose everything.

I worked so hard to get where I am right now and I might lose it all.

The thought of being unable to practice with my degree scares me.

I'm not even going to ask why me because I got myself in this mess.

I got too big for my boots, allowed myself to fall into the depths of temptation and lost everything in the aftermath.

Regret chokes me and the bitter truth tangles in my mouth.

I did this to myself. I ruined a good marriage and my Jezebel ways not only caused me my job but my son as well.

I know that there's no where I can turn. I don't have friends and as much as I love my family, I don't see myself going back there.