Chapter 20

GINA

It's been two years since Zach and I divorced and I'm finally healing.

Thato has been with me and I've grown to love him.

Thato is the son I kept away so I can save my marriage and it didn't work so he's living with me now.

I haven't seen my father in years and I know I should probably go check on him.

I'm done wallowing in self-pity and blame.

The only thing Zach gave me is this house we live in.

I'm the one paying all the bills and it gets too much at times.

The maintenance of the house which includes water, electricity and cleaning services then my car, Thato's daycare and groceries leave me next to broke.

It's hard, it's really so hard that I've even lost weight.

My friends? Well, who would befriend a divorcee?

I cut them off before they could and maybe I was scared of how they will react if they found out I cheated with Kristen Rhodes Jr, Aaliyah's father.

I listened to her tell us how my little sister had an affair with her father and the disgust she had portrayed, the curses she threw and I knew I wouldn't want to be labelled as her.

Zach kept me away from my kids for a good six months and it was hell. He obtained custody with me getting visits on weekends and holidays.

That's what money buys you. It makes you get away with anything.

I didn't bother taking him to court. He had the means to drag the case, something I don't and he would have left me penniless and drowning in debt.

Thato and I are at the mall, doing grocery shopping.

The kids are coming this week so I want to make sure they have everything they need.

I'm always going to a mall an hour away to avoid bumping into anyone who knows me.

Thato is 4 now, Zoë 10 and Zachary is 6.

They know him and don't ask too many questions. Zoë just accepted that she has a little brother.

I didn't think my marriage would end, just like that.

I don't know why I slept with Kristen, I don't know why I cheated. The man didn't give a damn about me.

He doesn't care about me.

Anyway, it's too late for regrets now. Maybe everything happened as it should.

My phone rings as I'm browsing through isles.

I answer without checking the caller ID.

Me: "Hello? "

"Gina, is that you? "

Shit, it's my father.