Chapter 19

AALIYAH

I've been in Lagos for a week with no success. 

I'm beginning to think Trinny was right for doubting my mom's honesty. 

Lefa has his best men with me so this just means I took leave for shit. 

I'm exhausted, which is why I've communicated with the pilot to get ready for takeoff. 

I'm using the family jet. 

I call my husband, though I know his team probably told him. 

Lefa: "Baby "

Me: "(sighs) I'm coming back "

Lefa: "(shocked) So soon? "

Me: "Don't you want me to come back? "

Lefa: "What? No baby, I'm just surprised. Did you find her? "

Me: "I didn't. There's no trace of her here, I'm beginning to think my mom wasn't honest. I think she sent me on a wild goose chase "

Lefa: "I'm sorry baby "

Me: "It's fine "

Hanging up, I gather my clothes and pack with the little strength I have left. 

Maybe this is how it's meant, maybe I'm not meant to have a child. 

I'm conflicted, should I continue pursuing Jhene or should I give up? 

Is she really worth it? Is she the one I need to redeem in order to get my baby? 

It's frustrating and I find myself doing something I have never thought of doing. 

I kneel and close my eyes. 

I don't know what to say or how to begin. 

Me: "(sighs) Dear God... (sighs again) Father I... I don't know what to say. My heart is so heavy, I've always thought that I have it all figured out. I always thought that I know and have the answers to everything. The honest truth is, I Never thought I needed you. I can't believe I'm on my knees now and praying to you. I don't doubt your existence, Gran always talked of your greatness. She always told us of what you've done for her, for her husband and in her life. Lord, I ask for the same mercy you had on my grandpa. Please show me the way Lord. A big part of me believes I need to find Jhene. Lead me to her Lord if that's how it should be. Please forgive me father for every wrong I've ever committed. Forgive my husband Lord and have mercy on us. Amen "

I don't know where those words came from but I feel much lighter after the prayer. 

.

JHENE

Me: "Thank you for this"

Bonolo: "(laughs) Thank you. It wouldn't have been the same if you hadn't agreed "

Her boyfriend just dropped her in the last minute, something about work so it's just us and the kids. 

Me: "OK, I'm going to cook now. They're probably hungry "

It's Thursday and we just got here. It's late. We had to work first. 

We're all sleeping in the same guesthouse. Since it's four of us, we just felt it's convenient. 

Bonolo is a size bigger than me So we can all fit on the bed. 

I'm excited really. 

It's September so it's pretty hot. 

Orateng:"Mom, I'm hungry. Look (raising her top), I don't have anything in my stomach "

Me: "We'll have hot dogs "